The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I recently bought a 91 stock YJ off a buddy dirt cheap what lift can I put in it that
1) wont cost an arm and a leg?
2) don't require me changing a million other parts?
3) will still be a dependable daily driver if I give it to my kid?

·
31 Posts
yj lift

Check out Superlift , maybe a 2" . The list is endless there are so many ways and after market vendors .

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
What are you wanting to do with it? Just lift it to clear larger tires or make it actually fuctional offroad? What size lift are you wanting, just a budget boost or a body lift? I would go with a functional system if it were up to me. This way if you figure out that your kid or you likes offroading and wants to further the vehicle more you didn't waste money in the begining.

·
277 Posts
Like mentioned before, it all depends on what you intend to do with the Heep. There are a lot of lifts out there, or you could go one of several other routes. If the stock springs aren't saggy, you could just do a simple springover and get (I think) about 4". A little trimming and you could clear 35's easy. If it's gonna be an offroad only rig, just cut the sheetmetal. I gotta say though, I wouldn't put bigger tires on a YJ without doing something with the axles?

Where ya located? If you're local to me I'd be happy to come help ya out.

http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K849&V=255

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Suspension-Systems.aspx?XnPath=173,179&Vid=AC12DE441326

That should get ya started. I'd go with the RE stuff If I was doing a YJ. Notice they list a springover kit. All ya need with that is a buddy with a welder, and maybe some longer brake lines.

*EDIT* Forget the brake lines, the SO kit already has them. It doesn't include a drop pitman arm, and you may need a new rear drive shaft. That'll be with any 4 inch lift though. RE says their kit nets 5.5"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I'm kinda leaning toward to RE kit myself, the lift would be more for just puddle jumping and larger tires nothing too wild for off roading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A 2" body lift on a YJ will clear 33" tires. $50.00 for the parts, easily installed in a couple of hours.

A 2" shackle lift can do the same for about $149.00

As far as a SOA kit: Ummm yeah....

You need an SYE kit for your transfer case, a dropped pitman arm, and longer brake lines. And you will NOT want to do a springover lift on that Dana35 rear axle.

Your best bet for a "safe" lift is a 4.5" SUA RE extreme duty leaf spring kit and put it on 35" tires. The ride will flex like mad and still handle safely on the street.

·
2,334 Posts
i second the RE lift. it is of very good quality. i ran one on my cj for 5years now. im steping up to coils and onetons soon. awesome flexability for leaf spung suspension as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts