The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
A posi and limited slip are the same thing. Positraction was a GM brand name and it was a clutch type limited sliff diff. No, not all trucks came with LS diffs. What it would cost to swap depends on what you want to go with. D you want another clutch LS, Gleason type LS, etc.

If you are paying a shop to do the swap you'll probably be around 800 depending on the type of LS you choose.

·
1,726 Posts
1040 WreckerMan said:
A posi and limited slip are the same thing. Positraction was a GM brand name and it was a clutch type limited sliff diff. No, not all trucks came with LS diffs. What it would cost to swap depends on what you want to go with. D you want another clutch LS, Gleason type LS, etc.

If you are paying a shop to do the swap you'll probably be around 800 depending on the type of LS you choose.
I don't want to start a big pissin match but there are differences between a GM (Eaton) Positraction and any other clutch type limited slip differential. The Eaton Positraction is the only one to apply more clamping force on the clutches as torque is applied to the driveshaft. That's why GM's don't have problems with 1 wheel wondering with a posi where the Fords LS diff. may have those problems from the factory :poke:

To the OP -- You can buy an Eaton Posi for your truck. They cost in the 500 to 600 dollar range. Then you will have to buy an installation kit and either do the work yourself or pay a shop to do it. If you had a shop do it I would guess you would have about 1000 to 1200 in it total.

There are other types of Limited Slip differentials out there but I think the Eaton Posi and the Tru Trac are the best suited for a daily driver that will be off roading and/or racing occasionally.

For the dedicated off roader a Locker is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can also replace the old cluthces and add a fourth one to your clutch pack, they only come with three adding a fourth helps but its kind of tough getting your carrier back in. I did this to a 90 F-150 oh was it fun after that.

·
2,334 Posts
powerstroke look on the rearend tag(attached to one of the cover bolts) if it says 3L73 or 4L11 it has a LS if it doesnt then its an open carrier. if its an open carrier id get a "lunchbox locker" such as a tru trac or another spider gear replacement locker. you can put it in yourself in an hr or two if your good with tools.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I use a Powertrax Lock-Right "Lunchbox Locker". I've had it in for around 14 months, works great. It's a little bit rougher than a limited slip unit when it engages, but you get used to it. Depending on how you drive it, you can either spin the tires at will, or learn when to feather it to avoid spinning. My truck (originally an open differential) was useless in my hilly grass yard (where I store my race car trailer and camper). Once I added the locker, I can maneuver back there even in the snow.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
6,337 Posts
I had to push that heavy POS to get it moving... Jump on the bumper and all...LOL

·
JD
94 Posts
I hope this doesn't start an argument but you can take the SD 10.5 carrier swap your ring gear onto it and bolt it in. SD carriers are stronger than obs and yes it has been done no modifaction required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts