The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i started from IL to AK and my the wrench light came on and i had very little power,so i limped it back to the local ford dealer and an Exhust Back Pressure sender and Pigtail+$384.00 lator i still have the same problem. anyone have any idea what to look for.Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.Oh the scan gauge and fords scanner showed no codes and ipr,ICP,and FICM all checked good.
Thanks Ed

·
3,051 Posts
Check your oil + coolant temp deltas on the ScanGauge and see if the oil temps are too high.

Could be turbo or exhaust leakage related too.

Is the symptom intermittent or all the time?

Does it blow black smoke when the low power is occuring?

Make sure the basics like fuel and air filters are ok.

Harry

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks harry6.0 the only thing i noticed was the coolant temp was fluxuating but never enough to over heat.The deltas were about 10-15 degrees.
Thanks Ed

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lIMP MODE

Harry sorry I have not got back with you but have been very busy. Tried my truck out today and it did not go into limp mode but still runs warm when pulling my 5er. I changed the thermostat and I don't see any bubbles in coolant tank so I am thinking that the Fan clutch is going south.With out the 5er it runs 188-190 all day no matter how hard you run it and oil temp is 10-15 degrees higher,but with the 5er on it runs 200-215 degrees depending on how much you get on it.
Thanks Ed

Reactions: harry6.0

·
1,324 Posts
Harry sorry I have not got back with you but have been very busy. Tried my truck out today and it did not go into limp mode but still runs warm when pulling my 5er. I changed the thermostat and I don't see any bubbles in coolant tank so I am thinking that the Fan clutch is going south.With out the 5er it runs 188-190 all day no matter how hard you run it and oil temp is 10-15 degrees higher,but with the 5er on it runs 200-215 degrees depending on how much you get on it.
Thanks Ed
Those temps are normal. You can monitor fan rpm with the scanguage but your temps and deltas are not bad. Around 215 the fan will pulse and around 225 it will lock up. I had my points moved in recent tune down 5 degrees for fan clutch pulse and lock up. What do the VGT values look like are you possibly over boosting or not building boost due to a malfunctioning turbo? I feel your pain my trip to Florida became an adventure back in March.

Reactions: deereman39

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Limpe mode

Thanks weld, how do you moniter fan speed? I do not remember seeing that when I set up my SG2.Who do you get your tunes from? Sorry about your trip to FL.
Thanks Ed

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks weld, how do you moniter fan speed? I do not remember seeing that when I set up my SG2.Who do you get your tunes from? Sorry about your trip to FL.
Thanks Ed
It's one of the xgauges on their website

Fan Speed Sensor
07E022099F
04620509069F
FSS
RPM

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/ford-specific-xgauges/

I got my latest tow and street tune from KEM they were recommended by Harry. I like both tunes he also shifted the Fan pulse and lock up earlier. It now pulses the fan faster at 208 and locks at around 220. I believe the consensus is high temps kill the 6.0.

The Florida trip is now a laughable memory I mean who else gets towed off the highway to a campground only to see the tow truck driver arrested for outstanding warrants. The mouse nest under the turbo was a nice touch when headed to see Mickey Mouse. Good luck on your trip, I'd love to see Alaska!

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info weld. Alaska I wish; I got the wrong state it was Arkansas, had to go to my grandson's wedding and he is a chevy dude so you know I got hammered.
Do they make a bigger radiator for these trucks

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the info weld. Alaska I wish; I got the wrong state it was Arkansas, had to go to my grandson's wedding and he is a chevy dude so you know I got hammered.
Do they make a bigger radiator for these trucks
I'm sure you can get an aftermarket radiator but I don't think the cooling system is an issue. When the fan spins it brings things down fast. Keep in mind you have two other heat exchangers in front of the radiator the AC condenser and Charge Air Cooler. I do think the fan should lock sooner than stock does to keep oil from getting so close to 240 deg when coolant hits 230.

Yeah I get the same from my duramax family members.

Two fan clutches were available standard and plow package. I believe the plow package will lock when a fan is in a no motion state. I drove 80 miles with my plow and if the fan wasn't spinning at least 250 rpm it had a hard time locking up. In normal operation it locks fine but put a big air block in front it will actually register 0 rpm sometimes. It won't pulse or lock up immediately in that condition.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see a 2 row radiator advertised for the 6.0 so do we have a single row as OEM.I have never looked at the radiator that close? I would like to lower the towing temp some way if possible

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
You had better take a good look at your truck. It should have a multi-row radiator and that should be more than enough to cool your truck while towing. You need to find out if your fan comes on and when. Your temperatures are not out of line. Diesel engines like to run hot and 215 degrees is not too hot. Your fan sounds like it is not working properly. I can hear my fan when it engages, it is loud. Don't go throwing parts at your truck.

·
1,324 Posts
:salute

If you want to keep it closer to 215 get custom tow tune for $50.

After you verify with SG2 that your fan clutch is working

Stock you should see approx 500 rpm at idle with A/c off
1600 rpm at 2000rpm engine at 215
3200 rpm at 2000 rpm engine at 225 ish

All numbers approximate when the fan locks it's like a jet engine under the hood.

I would not throw money at a radiator.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked the fan speed today and it was around 600 at 70 MPH and temp at 188*
I will be calling about tow tune.
I will check my temps wed. as I am going fishing for 10 days and will be towing the 5er.
Thanks for the info.

·
3,051 Posts
I'm still puzzled about the low power symptom.

The 10-15 degree deltas are in the upper range if cruising on flat ground, normally they are under 10 and can be as low 4-6.

If your towing hills then they can peak out slightly over 15 at times, but should drop back down to 12 or less.

The wrench light can be a symptom of too high deltas and the Ford programming backs the power off for fail safe protection.

Harry

·
3,051 Posts
Found this info on the programming for oil cooler monitoring below, since you had no codes, now I'm really puzzled. But the wrench light had to be triggered by something.

Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.

Harry

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Harry when I had the wrench light I was in stock mode and the check engine light was on due to EGR Cooler Delete, I put the tow mode back in and turned off the EGR system and have not had the wrench light or Limp mode sense.
The deltas do come down as temps come down.
I also changed the Themostat.
Ed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts