The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY buddy has an HX40 drag turbo he wants to sell for $300. It's in really good shape. It looks like most people like the S300. Would the HX40 be good for me. I drive my truck every day. I tow 40% out of the year. My HX35 makes 32-35psi now but my EGT's are at 1500 when i'm on it hard. Would this help out or should i go with something else. I was thinking of doing water/meth to cool the EGT's when i tow. Sorry for this stupid question. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
i dont know much about 24 valves, but depending what turbo it is they are slow to spool and snap shafts real easy, i run a 60mm hx40 comp with a 18cm hx35 turbine housing, it spools great keeps my temps with in reason verry well

·
3,514 Posts
May be a little laggy. We ran a pdr hx40 on a 24v years ago, and it did pretty well. It would still get pretty hot with 150hp injectors, a drag box, and a hotrod vp44. Ran 13 flat with it though. Not a bad charger, but you have to be careful with them as they do have weak shafts. Thats the reason we used a PDR 40, it has larger/stronger shafts.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He told me the wast gate was set at 20. Could i use my old boost elbow to crank up the boost? Like i said i'm really looking to just drive every day and tow that's it. I'll never sled pull or drag race with the truck. Maybe light to light hahah. Should i look for some else? Is the price to much?

·
3,514 Posts
The price seems good if its in good shape. The thing to be careful of is backing out of it too quick (barking) the turbo. Thats what will cause shaft breakage. If you buy an hx40 style down pipe, then worst case scenario, if you break it or don't like it, you can always throw the 35 back on. That gets a little harder if you go cutting up that down pipe.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO for towing and everyday then i'm good. I'm only looking to make 450 power wise.

What about psi settings on the 40. I make 32psi now. what can the 40 take.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
4,827 Posts
Won't gain much from that turbo on Ebay. Won't be enough air for an 800hp Cummins either. Might be OK on a gasser, but I wouldn't touch it.

The PDR HX40 I had was a decent turbo, but my HTT 64/14 kicks its butt.

If you get a HX40, drill out the divider so the wastegate can 'gate as 6.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like i'm going to do water/meth injection instead.

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
i ran a hx40 for a little over a year. it was a good turbo. i was very happy with it. it is slightly lagy for the size of the turbo and watch the bark. other that that i loved mine. the price is really good for the one your looking at. i actually ran it with the waste gate disconnected and made maybe 45 with it. but i was throwing A LOT of fuel at her too. you could block off the waste gate completely or throw in the boost elbow from your hx35.

·
322 Posts
i wouldnt go over 35PSI on your hx35.... i had mine up to 41PSI and yeah blew the oil seals out and had oil gushing into my intercooler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts