The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i want to do the boost elbow to my 24v but im not sure where it goes. Im planning on just riggin one up with a brass elbow from home depot or something then drilling a hole in it then installing an allen screw. Would it be beneficial for me to have a boost elbow with the mods in my sig? Also if anyone has any pics of there boost elbow installed that would be great just so i could see it and not mistake a term for something else.

·
3,514 Posts
Its exactly like you are thinking, just a brass elbow. It screws into the compressor housing on your turbo with a short piece of hose running from it to your wastegate actuator, there is really no mistaking it. I would take a picture and send it to you, but my turbo is completely disassembled right now and may just confuse you more. You can use your stock elbow, and just drill and tap for a 6mmx1.0 allen screw. If you already have the tap and drill, it will cost you about 50 cents to do the mod.

Just a suggestion from reading your sig. You may want to add a fuel pressure gauge to your list, or at least a low fuel pressure warning light. They can save you quick a bit of money.
Sean

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good, i took a second look a few minutes after posting this and was thinking that exact same thing. I wanna do a fuel pressure gauge when i get the funds but im currently saving for a full goerend tranny. Plus i dont really know where would be a good place to mount it.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
cursedtofirst45 said:
ok good, i took a second look a few minutes after posting this and was thinking that exact same thing. I wanna do a fuel pressure gauge when i get the funds but im currently saving for a full goerend tranny. Plus i dont really know where would be a good place to mount it.
Well... The fuel pressure gauge is about 40-50 buck at the most... It will save you the ~$1,600 for the VP44 replacement...

Here is a small write up on my gauge pod...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/dipricol gages/dipricol_gages.htm

·
3,514 Posts
Are those leather seats heated? If you have factory heated seats this won't work for mounting, but if you don't you can mount it in that little cubby pocket to the right of the radio. Thats where mine is. But I too need to find another good gauge mounting spot for my drive pressure gauge thats going in.
Sean

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sstockton said:
Are those leather seats heated? If you have factory heated seats this won't work for mounting, but if you don't you can mount it in that little cubby pocket to the right of the radio. Thats where mine is. But I too need to find another good gauge mounting spot for my drive pressure gauge thats going in.
Sean
no i dont have heated seats, thats a good idea thanks. but do i need some kind of pod to fill in the space around the gauge? I dont currently use that cubby for anything. Should my fuel pressure be higher with a chip than normal because im currently only using level 1 on the chip and i might stop doing that for a while if i dont see a mpg increase this tank.

·
3,514 Posts
You can order the plate from rip rook at Sourceautomotive.biz and it only costs like $15. However it doesn't come drilled so you will need a 2 1/16 hole saw or whatever size the gauge is, so you can drill it to fit. A chip will draw your fuel pressure down, and so will a failing lift pump. That is a really common cause of injection pump failure which will run you about 1600 bucks and kill your trans fund.
Sean

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sstockton said:
You can order the plate from rip rook at Sourceautomotive.biz and it only costs like $15. However it doesn't come drilled so you will need a 2 1/16 hole saw or whatever size the gauge is, so you can drill it to fit. A chip will draw your fuel pressure down, and so will a failing lift pump. That is a really common cause of injection pump failure which will run you about 1600 bucks and kill your trans fund.
Sean
alright, im gonna put a fp gauge in that cubby but i cant find the plate for the hole on that website?? Also do i need a fuel pressure isolator or can i make do without one?

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
cursedtofirst45 said:
Also do i need a fuel pressure isolator or can i make do without one?
I don't see a isolator in my setup... Just a $8 dollar needle valve... :poke:

·
3,514 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
I don't see a isolator in my setup... Just a $8 dollar needle valve... :poke:

Are you running fuel into the cab then?
Sean

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Yes sir... I've been plumbed this way for close to 5 years. The nylon tubing it rated for 150 PSI. I highly doubt that 15 PSI fuel is going to blow the line... Even if it did I just shut the needle valve and problem is dealt with till the line is repaired.

Compared to a isolator it eventually fails and without warning the fuel is in the cab. The other problem even isolator I've seen always throw off the acurracy of the gauge. Problems with bleding air bubbles and loading the isolator with anti-freeze. Now if there was a problem there is NO way to shut off the fuel in the cab. Then your stuck till you can repair it...

Also remember that diesel is a very high flash point fuel (140*F) compared to gasoline (-45*F) so the chances of a fire happening in the cab is highly unlikely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts