The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pegsmi98
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been researching this for two days now and haven't found a conclusive answer. Vehicle is a 2001 Excursion with 7.3 Powerstroke 103K.

I am ordering parts: water pump, upper (go around serp belt) and lower hoses, 203 degree thermostat, thermostat housing. I will thoroughly flush everything out and plan on putting in Cat EC-1 coolant.

Should loctite be put on the Fan Clutch threads when put back on? If so what color?

It sounds like I should put some (loctite) on the bolts (at least the 4 middle ones) when I put the new water pump on. What color?

Also sounds like I can add some sealant around the gaskets, again what color?

If someone could tell me exaclty what to use I can go buy the stuff and go for it.

Thanks in advance.

·
rock removal technition
589 Posts
no loctite anywhere, and also no sealer, the gasket is a rubber o ring.

·
125 Posts
Actually lock tite isn't a bad idea for the pulley bolts. It's not much fun replacing them when they've backed out a little and some break off.

·
2,509 Posts
I like to use a little of the grey silicone on the water pump gasket, basicly just to hold it in place while installing it. I think it is nessicary on the thermostat and water inlet pipe o-rings just becasue they are usually are a little corroded where they seal. the important thing is just dont get carried away with the stuff, a little bit goes a long way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts