The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! I have the perfect engine for my Ranger build. Originally I was going to build a street dominating low slung terrorizer. But, I ended up selling that chassis because it was sitting for too long and taking up space. Yeah, I know it was a dumb move. However, I have a lifted Ranger in need of an engine and a new life. So instead of building that truck with a 390FE and only using it for off road abuse I plan to make it a nice dual purpose driver with this small block. This is a 351W roller out of our 96 F250. It was a good running engine when pulled with over 270,000 miles on the clock. I am not sure how far I am going to take the mods but I do plan a total tear down soon I hope. I plan to post a lot of questions in the near future.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Nice! Factory hydraulic roller Windsors are hard to come by. Give it some love. Put it back together at 9:1, throw a set of small valve Edelbrock aluminum heads on it, try to find a Crane CompuCam 2030 camshaft, top it with a Performer RPM manifold, 750 vacuum secondary Holley and headers and you'll have a nice 350hp 400tq daily driver.

Just make sure you use a steel distributor gear with that hydraulic roller cam.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
No, I've built several hundred small block Fords, and I've had short and long blocks come back with trashed camshafts, crankshafts and bearings, all within less than 1,000 miles! It was a really common occurance in the early '90s when restoring early Mustangs was the rage, and people wanted modern 5.0L power. Of course, back then, guys would change the balancers and flywheels on the later engines to use early parts and they'd shake and vibrate themselves to death too...

You should have heard these guys who thoughtthey knee it all and used their own parts ***** when I told them it was their error for not reading the install notes I would provide! Good times, good times indeed!

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was planing and getting some details questions out there before I jump into this one. Once I pick a direction to go then I will know what to ask.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Feel free to run your ideas past me on this one. You can pretty much tell me how much torque and horsepower you want and at what rpm you want the peaks and how you want the power curve shaped, and I can tell you what parts you'll need to do it right and keep the cost in check.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do know at this point I want it to be a good reliable daily driver with good power on demand off road. I know gearing and tire selection as a lot to do with that as well though. I am thinking between 350 to 400 horses is what I am going to shoot for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts