The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the duramax scene ive been a cummins guy but sick of tranny problems im goin to test drive an 06 tomorrow how do i tell lly or lbz the truck has 75000 on it what problems should i look for truck is a 3500drw thanks for any help

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the 8th character in the VIN will be a '2' for LLY and a 'D' for LBZ

You can Post the VIN# down in the vin check section and it will give you an idea of all warranty work that has been done and a comprehensive list of all options that the truck came with from the factory

Problems? just look for normal maintenance stuff, it should hardly smoke black when you jump on the throttle, and shouldn't smoke at all the rest of the time, check for oil leaks

the transmission cooler lines are known to leak on these trucks, but its not too hard to fix, check for signs of a tuner, and for signs of abuse, check the transmission oil for a burnt smell and or brown colour.... make sure everything works, and that it doesnt make any unusually loud noises

Good luck, And never hesitate to ask questions :happymugs

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
:whs

·
Registered
9 Posts
britewhiteram pretty much got you covered. The good thing about the 06 lly is that it has a 6 speed trans and is just a detuned lbz. You will want to change the turbo mouthpiece as they are restrictive and can cause overheating if you haul any heavy loads. Id check powersteering fluid/pump, i know mine went shortly after i got mine.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
britewhiteram pretty much got you covered. The good thing about the 06 lly is that it has a 6 speed trans and is just a detuned lbz. You will want to change the turbo mouthpiece as they are restrictive and can cause overheating if you haul any heavy loads. Id check powersteering fluid/pump, i know mine went shortly after i got mine.
the Turbo mouthpiece does not need to be changed on the 2006 LLY, only on the 2004.5-2005 LLY, the 2006 LLY as you stated is the same as an LBZ, and all it takes is tuning to bring it up to the same hp as the LBZ:thumbsup

·
52 Posts
I`d look at the front end ( bearings etc ) That`s the only real weak link that I`ve found on my 06 GM. I agree with you on the dodge trans. My 06 dodge has been a great truck but the auto in it is dated.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I havn't had an issue with the front end in my 06 yet, if you use it the way it was ment to be used you should have a problem, the biggest issue is when guys lift their trucks, or abuse them hard, thats when tie-rods start to bed, Keep the ride height stock, or very close, and dont do 4x4 launches and things should stay together quite well

·
52 Posts
I haven`t broken anything on my gmc. This truck is stock down to the tires. The front wheel bearings went out at 75,000 miles. I think this is a weak link because on my 01 Yukon it did the same thing. My buddy`s 2500 gas did it too.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
the 8th character in the VIN will be a '2' for LLY and a 'D' for LBZ........

I'm about to go through the stickies to see if it is there, but does the statement above apply to GMC's as well?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Yes it sure does
all that info is in the Duramax Index I believe

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
THANKS!!! :rock .........not that I'm looking for an LBZ or anything........just doing some research..yeah, that's it!!:roflol:

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
THANKS!!! :rock .........not that I'm looking for an LBZ or anything........just doing some research..yeah, that's it!!:roflol:
theres nothing wrong with looking at an LBZ... they are awesome engines

·
3 Posts
A good freind of mine has a son who is a mechanic at the local Chevy dealership. He claims they install about 5 sets of injectors a week on the duramax's. Is there an average life span on these things?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
A good freind of mine has a son who is a mechanic at the local Chevy dealership. He claims they install about 5 sets of injectors a week on the duramax's. Is there an average life span on these things?
Injectors are really on a problem on the 01-04 LB7 duramax trucks, and 5 sets a week??? I really doubt that, they are a problem but not that big of a problem, and the new bosch version of the LB7 injectors are much improved, the injector bodies are far less prone to cracking

LBZ have very minimal problems on relatively stock trucks:wave

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Hows the "shopping" going :poke....

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Slow. We just closed on our house up here, so we are in the process of moving. I leave work everyday, head to the new place, paint, or do other work and then go to where we are staying to hit the sack. But I try to do some online shopping at night. I don't want to spend more than what I owe now, as I am nearly paid off. So I am looking for an even type trade, or a cheaper, higher mileage truck. But the searching continues!!elmerfudd

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Slow. We just closed on our house up here, so we are in the process of moving. I leave work everyday, head to the new place, paint, or do other work and then go to where we are staying to hit the sack. But I try to do some online shopping at night. I don't want to spend more than what I owe now, as I am nearly paid off. So I am looking for an even type trade, or a cheaper, higher mileage truck. But the searching continues!!elmerfudd
Not digging the 6.7 anymore?
I hope you get settled into your new digs and wish you good luck on finding a new rig, I have to say that I love my LBZ, the only thing I would do different is that I would get an 07classic instead of the early 06 that I have, they changed headgaskets soon after my truck was built, so i got stuck with chitty gaskets :bang

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
As far as the head gasket issue you mentioned, is there any particular way to identify the trucks with the 'improved' head gaskets? Any date range, or VINs that I can look for?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts