The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great site. I have a stock '08 stroker with 15000k on it. So far i'm not all that impressed with it. My old 6.0 ran out better then my 6.4. I've noticed everybody seems to like the spartan dpf delete/tuner kits. How easy is it to return to stock if i ever have warantee issues. Have there been any failures or problems. I live in montana and do alot of high altitude pulling. I dont want anything that will cause damage or leave me walkin. I tried to install a ppe programmer(recomended by a local shop), but it pulled a "modyfied file found" code and wouldnt down load into my truck. Not sure what that was all about, but got my $ back and am looking for something else. Any info is appreciated.

·
543 Posts
All you need to know is Spartan.
Changing back to stock is a PITA, unless you aren't lazy like me and don't mind changing pipes back and getting dirty. I will probably take my chances if I ever need work. I don't plan on ever getting under there and replacing everything back to stock. Waaaay toooo lazy.

The 6.4L in stock mode is the most disappointing thing I have ever driven. In fact, I would have probably gotten rid of the truck if I were forced to drive it stock. I'm running the 310 Spartan tune every day. It converts the worst diesel engine I have ever known to the absolute best performing, best MPG and best accelerating truck I have ever driven, not to mention that it takes all of the poor diesel traits of lazy low end and mid range and turns it into a V-10 type of power band..
Throttle lag which usually lasted about 2 seconds is replaced by the cracking sound of your neck snapping back as soon as you hit the throttle.
Fuel mileage is what you make of it. Set the cruise at 65 and you will see upwards of 20+. Tow 12K and feel like you need to show off, and you will be around 10.

Reliability?
That's up to you. If you are a kid who gets a woody from burnouts, or generally acting like an inbred redneck :confused:, then plan on taking more chances. If you drive like an adult, I see no reliability issues down the road.

·
BCJAG72
139 Posts
I have the Spartan tunes as well and have had no real problems. Only some minor surging when cold but that has been fixed. I usually run the 210 for everyday driving cause it shifts easy. I get 15 city and 20 highway with it. I use the 250 sometimes and get 17 city and 24 highway with that. I do not race much with it. I do race other trucks or cars on the street sometimes but not too hard where I would break something. If you have small hands and arms then changing the dpf out is no problem. If you have big hands and arms like me then it is a ***** to do. I had problems with the dpf when I had the truck stock so I took it off. The truck is like George said way better and different running the Spartan tunes. Anything above the 210 tune shifts firmer and harder than stock cause they are race tunes. I drive a lot in town so that is why I use the :thumbsup210 mostly. You will crap your pants the first time you run the truck with the 210 or higher tunes from Spartan.

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
Spartan, the only way to go if you want some extra power and an increase in economy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts