The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my current truck, a 91 F250 super cab with a IDI 7.3 running and ATS turbo for a couple years but I'm looking for something a little newer, nicer and with 4 wheel drive.

I'm looking at a 1999 F350 with 158k on the odometer. Truck is an F350 4 door dully with a 6 speed manual and 4 wheel drive. It's set up for a goose neck complete with trailer brakes.

What can I expect for MPG, and what should I look out for?

·
7 Posts
Check and see what rear gear is in it. If it has 410's it will only get 12 mph on a good day down hill down wind. I have the same truck 6 speed manual and I switched my rear to 373's otherwise I'd be broke.

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
Check and see what rear gear is in it. If it has 410's it will only get 12 mph on a good day down hill down wind. I have the same truck 6 speed manual and I switched my rear to 373's otherwise I'd be broke.
Just curious what's the mileage you get with the 373's. Because I'm looking at getting an'95, would that have the same options?

·
442 Posts
Find out if it's an early 99 or late, search the date, I can't remember off the top of my head. Differences are in turbos, injectors, some misc things under the hood, suspension parts. Really helps to know if you get it and have to fix it.

·
83 Posts
I have the same truck although it's an auto. My average fuel mileage is 10-11mpg and if I'm really lucky will see 12-13mpg. The truck tows quite often and when it's not towing has a lot of weight in the bed, topper, ladders, etc.

Is the four wheel drive electronic or manual? If you have the dial on the dash plan on replacing some parts down the road if they are not already replaced. All three of mine are electronic and all have had aftermarket lockouts installed.

158K miles isn't bad for a 99 7.3. If those are were all tow miles and it wasn't maintained as it should those are a lot of miles.

If you don't mind me asking what is the asking price? Manuals seem to fetch quite a bit less than automatics in the used truck market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts