The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an Excursion as a second vehicle. So far I have come upon two here. Both are 2000 with the 7.3L One has 278k with maintenance records since 20k and the second is a bank repo, no records with 220k.

I have owned other diesels in the past, 91 F250 7.3 NA 181k to 200k, 04 F250 6.0L with 16-20k, and my current 05 F250 6.0L 20k-present(71k). The 05 is going NOWHERE, the wheels will fall off first.

I kinda feel like I should go with the one with records.

Any opinions? Anything I missed?

·
4 Posts
Records are good to have. Anyone willing to keep 250k miles worth of records probably took good care of it.

Just make sure to give the vehicle a good check out before you by it.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I agree, go with the one with records. But make sure you give it a good once over. Check all bushings, brakes, check the normal oil and coolant and tranny fluid, etc. Also if you do get the X, they have a habit of warping the front rotors. If you feel the pusling in the pedal then change the rotors to a slotted style and that should help. Other then that sit back and enjoy. I love mine and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

·
227 Posts
I agree, go with the one with records. But make sure you give it a good once over. Check all bushings, brakes, check the normal oil and coolant and tranny fluid, etc. Also if you do get the X, they have a habit of warping the front rotors. If you feel the pusling in the pedal then change the rotors to a slotted style and that should help. Other then that sit back and enjoy. I love mine and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
Lol, the rotors suck on these trucks. I have to replace mine. I just can't decide what rotors to buy.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I bought some aftermarket slotted ones and have put 50K on them and have not once have they warped on me. I would recommend the powerslot rotors, I've heard good things with them.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That one fell through. The owner kinda forgot to mention the hail damage.:damnit

Found an 03 6.0L that is pristine though. Checking into it tomorrow. Good records maintenance and it literally looks brand new.

·
227 Posts
That is how mine was when I bought it. A lot of nice up grades. good luck!

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luck has not been on my side lately. Lost that auction in the last 6 seconds.
My wife is asking me to consider a v-10. Hard to argue a very nice V-10 with 100k vs a decent PSD with 220k.

I am still holding out for a PSD.

·
227 Posts
stay with the PSD. Unless you like 10mpg!!

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Don't go with the V-10!! You really need to hold out for the PSD. Besides the horrible 10mpg, you can't beat the power of a diesel. They are out there, just don't give up.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a line on another. 2000 limited 4x4 PSD. Going to negotiate tomorrow.

:rock

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
How'd the negotiations go?

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Signed papers late Saturday and put down a deposit! We will complete the transaction tomorrow and I will be bringing her home next week!
:happydance:happydance

Reactions: robs97z28

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Details and pictures!!! Congrats at joining the very small club. I've started a very small club called "The X Club, King of the SUVs" if you are interested. Just a place to talk about our rare rigs.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will be about a week before I get some pics. I am in St Louis, MO and the 'X' is in Detroit, MI. It is a Black on Tan two tone, with Tan interior. Black is not my favorite but it is in good shape and it was the 'right' price! I am excited! Our 05 F250 6.0L will now have some company in the garage!

Woo hoo!

:happydance

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! That deal went sideways in a hurry. I try to ask as many questions and get detailed info. Too many 'things' popped up a few days before I was going to pick her up. "Oh, by the way, this(insert part) doesn't work." Then something else is wrong, and Oh I forgot this. Don't sellers think to include this BS BEFORE the buyer offers money?

Anyway, I pulled the plug....... Still searching again.......

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but better to find out before the paper gets signed!

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got one good enough to bring home. :happydance
Now onto the cleaning....

Attachments

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
That's a nice looking rig you ended up with!!! Glad to hear it worked out. So what are the details on the X? You can also join the X club that I have started! It's called the "X club King of the SUV's" Again congrats!

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you very much! It is stock with an amsoil bypass filter. Kind of a odd combination of Toreador Red with Tan two-tone and Grey leather interior. It has had pretty good maintenance as well. The shocks and sway bar links are going to be replaced soon, but overall it is on very good shape. I spent today cleaning the leather, man that is a LOT of leather. So far,so good!

Where do I join the 'X' club? :happydance:happydance:happydance

1 - 20 of 27 Posts