The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd post some pics of my 2007 F-350 6.0L and also ask the question as to waht to replace it with. I am trying to get an honest opinion on all the 08's (Ford, Dodge and GM) any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this similar thread in each of the three message boards and plan on putting together a summary for those that are as confused about the options as I am.

I am looking for issues addressing the most common downfalls associated with that particular brand as well as options for modifications such as lifts, tire size, tuners and DPF delete options.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2648236230102973397ugCbOm
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2269053900102973397EOeMMA

Thank you in advance for all your information.

Nick

·
114 Posts
If you are not having troubles with yours, I would resist the bug on buying a new one for a while.

Dodge continues to have some problems with the emissions and clogging the DPF. The GM twins do not seem to have many problems other than a few limping in cold weather / snow conditions. The Ford's fuel economy is less than desirable, but no widespread catastrophic failures and buybacks like when the 6.0 was launched.

If you decide that you want at Ford, I have an F250 KR that I would sell you...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why you getting outta your 2008 F-250 KR? Are you having issues and how many miles you got on it?

·
114 Posts
Several reasons. 5800 miles, no real issue other than the fuel economy stinks. I am moving and the subdivision where we bought has a policy prohibiting trucks being parked in the driveway overnight (I know, stupid, but it is a really nice subdivision and that is their rules). The truck is too long to fit in the garage, so it has got to go.

·
2,126 Posts
I hate subdivision rules...

·
Registered
133 Posts
wsa308 said:
I just thought I'd post some pics of my 2007 F-350 6.0L and also ask the question as to waht to replace it with. I am trying to get an honest opinion on all the 08's (Ford, Dodge and GM) any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will be posting this similar thread in each of the three message boards and plan on putting together a summary for those that are as confused about the options as I am.

I am looking for issues addressing the most common downfalls associated with that particular brand as well as options for modifications such as lifts, tire size, tuners and DPF delete options.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2648236230102973397ugCbOm
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2269053900102973397EOeMMA

Thank you in advance for all your information.

Nick
Nice truck you have there already!

To answer your question, I personally feel the GMC with its DURAMAX 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 and Allison 6-speed automatic tranny is the better all around selection with proven reliability and performance. The aftermarket is pretty robust for the new GMs and you can do a lot with them.

However, the GMC/Chevys sit too low to the ground for my taste in a heavy duty truck but they do give you a nice ride. I personally feel the styling is a bit bland, as the interior although much better than my previous GM trucks. Their powertrains are stong, and make for a fairly quick truck. They also get decent mileage (compared to Ford's new F250s). For towing, I believe the GMCs have a slightly higher rating in 3/4 ton Crew configurations over the Fords.

But still, that didn't stop me from ordering a new '08 F250 with the 6.4L PSD.

For one thing, Ford is on Job 3 with these trucks so I am thinking (hoping?) that most of the issues you still read about from others have been addressed. And, I just loved the smooth, quiet power delivery and surge of the twin turbo setup. I know looks are subjective, but I also find the new Fords to be a much better "tough truck" design over the GMC/Chevy designs and I enjoy a higher ride height as well. I also thought the new F250 interior to be outstanding especially in the FX4 trim (again, a personal preference), and additional features not yet found with the other makes.

I did a lot of research with the aftermarket products as well, and there are a lot of neat performance upgrades and accessories available for the new F250 that influenced me some too. The Fords seem to respond the best to aftermarket upgrades in terms of all out performance, and have a stouter frame and suspension over the GMCs. In my eyes, the Ford just had the better presentation and "feel" of a real rig and it won me over the GMs and Dodge offerings. The new F250s ride and handle very well despite their heft, and their construction seems to be a cut above the rest. I considered a new Dodge 2500 with the Cummins diesel as I had one before and really enjoyed the engine, but didn't like the "cheap" impressions from the interior (dash and seating) and thin body panels. I had the uplevel Laramie with leather and all, but just didn't hold up against the newer GM designs (and recent Ford design). If you are serious about Dodge, wait a year as the newly redesigned trucks are coming out with much better interior materials and designs and you can get the Cummins engine.

Hope this helps and good luck!

<deleted reference to Toyota>

·
Registered
259 Posts
iv got a job 2 truck and havnt had any problems with it.the fords do have a nice stock ride hieght.the new 6.4 is an awsome powerful moter,the omly problem is that the fuel mileag sucks.the new gm powertrain is very powerful.but the truck itself is not all that great.i dont realy now anything about the dodge

·
748 Posts
Keep your truck. You've got it lookin' great! Love that front bumper gaurd.
Keep it for about 4 more years, then I'll buy it from you :sly:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I would keep your 6.0 and wait a couple more years. By then the problems should be worked out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Desert Dawg said:
I did a lot of research with the aftermarket products as well, and there are a lot of neat performance upgrades and accessories available for the new F250 that influenced me some too.
Spill the beans buddy and maybe that might influence my decision.......:bow:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mlhaynes8302 said:
I would keep your 6.0 and wait a couple more years. By then the problems should be worked out.
I think as time goes on the whole problem scale thingy just keeps sliding forward and as one issue is resolved another is revealed.

I heard that GM and Ford are likely going to be releasing 1/2ton diesels in the 300 hp range????? The only thing I tow is my 18ft lake boat and for work I haul a sled or quad. My main reason for getting a diesel in the first place is because of mileage (especially for idling) and to pull the larger tires and lift with out too much of a power loss for additional clearence off road. So I'm thinking that these 1/2 ton diesels might be just the answer.

My trouble with waiting a few mor years is taht I may be stuck buying out the truck that is overpriced by $10K just because the new vehicle pricing up here has slid significantly and has reduced the used vehicle prices as well. Other than that I really like the truck but don't like the 10K hit.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
yep, all three are releasing 1/2 diesels within 2009, 2010
dodge, 5.6l cummins v-8, 300hp/520tq
ford, 4.6l lion v-8, 350hp/500tq
chev 4.5l duramax, 350hp/500tq

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
wsa308 said:
My trouble with waiting a few mor years is taht I may be stuck buying out the truck that is overpriced by $10K just because the new vehicle pricing up here has slid significantly and has reduced the used vehicle prices as well. Other than that I really like the truck but don't like the 10K hit.
I understand what your saying now.

I think all three are probably nice trucks for what you want to do. Just drive all of them and decide what features are important to you. I would suggest making a list of the positive and negatives of all three. Then weigh them all out from there.

Good luck!:usflag

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
I agree with the others. I would hold on to your 07' By 07' ford had the 6.0 down pat. If you really have your eyes set on an 08' style just wait for a while and lets see if they make any changes for the better. Then you would be ahead and all of us with the first year trucks will have to upgrade.LOL :pointlaugh

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mlhaynes8302 said:
I would suggest making a list of the positive and negatives of all three. Then weigh them all out from there.

Good luck!:usflag
That is the intent of this thread.....to gather user data on the positives and negatives of each brand. I placed the same question in each and so far all I have been getting is a bunch of keep what you got......or the other most popular is the "mine is better than yours", "they are not a POS".....you know real useful stuff.

Some guys are posting true life experiences and then someone else comes along and argues that there is no way that could happen.

Also if keeping what I got was an option.....I wouldn't even have asked the question cause I do like the truck but would you guys pay 10K too much for yours????

Thanks anyway.

·
28 Posts
I bought a new 6.4 4x4 black cc longbed w moonroof and absolutly love it. my brother owns a 2500 chevy and while his truck pulls 15,000 pounds a little better than mine he likes my ford better, it rides more like a truck than the chevy and the interior is incredible

·
2,126 Posts
wsa308 said:
That is the intent of this thread.....to gather user data on the positives and negatives of each brand. I placed the same question in each and so far all I have been getting is a bunch of keep what you got......or the other most popular is the "mine is better than yours", "they are not a POS".....you know real useful stuff.

Some guys are posting true life experiences and then someone else comes along and argues that there is no way that could happen.

Also if keeping what I got was an option.....I wouldn't even have asked the question cause I do like the truck but would you guys pay 10K too much for yours????

Thanks anyway.
10k is a lot of money. I would stick with a ford. If you're a big snowmobiler like me I would only go for a Ford or Dodge, with the Ford getting the nod.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do like to sled in the mountains but am more of a boondocker and beer packer than a hill climber....sorry a little off topic there...

Is ford still using a HPOP to actuate the injectors in the new engine, or are they the piezoelectric ones like the Dodge and Chev? I found that my Ford is harder to start than the Dodge and GM in cold weather conditions.

Herosun - are you saying that the interior in the new Ford is incredible or the new GM? If a person coulda taken a bit of both I think that would have been the answer.

·
Addicted Mechanic
196 Posts
Well I don't own either Ford or GM new trucks that is but have worked on both. Use to build half ton chevy pickups and the loaded interior on those trucks are very nice. But i am biased I like the look of the Ford interior better and it seems like better quality GM's stuff is kinda cheesy. Both powertrains are good and as for problems I haven't seen many in my ford shop other than leaking radiators and stupid codes that are caused by cold weather and giving false readings that they have yet to figure out. 10k to buy out a lease or whatever financial deal you got worked out is alot of money. If you wanna get a new one go for it. I think the new fords look sweet and hope before too long I can get one myself. My family are GM people but I drive a Ford because thats what I like. Its all in what you want. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've heard that from a few people but I really don't see a major difference between the two. There are things from each of the three that I liked better that the other. It's too bad that there couldn't be one that has all the great features....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts