The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend that is looking to get a chip for his dmax and I was wondering what would be a good chip. He will be getting an exhaust system and probably an intake, but he is worried about the trans holding up to the power. Any suggestions?

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
Depends on how much power you want. PPE HOT +2 and EFI Live add a ton of power, for lesser tuners id say diablo sport or quadzilla if you dont want to break the bank. For boxes people seem to like the VA.

·
3,939 Posts
With a stock tranny, I'd opt for the regular PPE Xcellerator instead of the Hot+2. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it later.

Predator, Quad, BullyDog all offer good tuners for LB7s.

Edge and VanAaken are good harness box choices.

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
TheBac said:
With a stock tranny, I'd opt for the regular PPE Xcellerator instead of the Hot+2. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade it later.

Predator, Quad, BullyDog all offer good tuners for LB7s.

Edge and VanAaken are good harness box choices.
:iagree Except I have heard some bad things about bullydog.

·
140 Posts
tahoedmax said:
Depends on how much power you want. PPE HOT +2 and EFI Live add a ton of power, for lesser tuners id say diablo sport or quadzilla if you dont want to break the bank. For boxes people seem to like the VA.
We have a couple of models and I am pretty darn sure the PPE whatever will not put down more power than our Race tuner. You might be able to tweak a few more ponies from EFI live but, it would take a lot of work and I am still yet to see anyone just make any major advances over our 215hp tune.

·
925 Posts
QuadBoenker said:
We have a couple of models and I am pretty darn sure the PPE whatever will not put down more power than our Race tuner. You might be able to tweak a few more ponies from EFI live but, it would take a lot of work and I am still yet to see anyone just make any major advances over our 215hp tune.
I have a EFILive tune sitting in my truck righ now that will run circles around your Quad 215. Not trying to stir the pot here but getting power from EFILive is a very easy task in the hands of the proper tunner, there are many individuals doing it.

·
140 Posts
Lets see your numbers on a dyno or on the track then.

WE posted our numbers about 5 years ago. I keep hearing it, I have EFI Live, I heard rumors but................

Remember with our tuner we put a 4dr 4x4 truck in the 11's about 4 years ago. Not our truck, a customer truck. That is impressive.

I think on individual trucks you can smooth things out a little or do little things here and there and I do think you might squeak a few more ponies out but, nothing ground breaking.

Not to mention with EFI Live you have to know what you are doing or have plenty of free time to make it work. THen you need a laptop and you need to cary your laptop and their hardware with you everywhere you go in case you need to change a tune or go back to stock. Not all that handy. And it is expensive in comparison.

I think EFI Live is great for some people. I think it is a great tool for some people. I think it is a terrible tool for a guy that wants a little more performance or for the average diesel owner.

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
I think the PPE will dyno a little more than the quad, and so will a properly made EFI Tune.

·
925 Posts
QuadBoenker said:
Lets see your numbers on a dyno or on the track then.

WE posted our numbers about 5 years ago. I keep hearing it, I have EFI Live, I heard rumors but................

Remember with our tuner we put a 4dr 4x4 truck in the 11's about 4 years ago. Not our truck, a customer truck. That is impressive.

I think on individual trucks you can smooth things out a little or do little things here and there and I do think you might squeak a few more ponies out but, nothing ground breaking.

Not to mention with EFI Live you have to know what you are doing or have plenty of free time to make it work. THen you need a laptop and you need to cary your laptop and their hardware with you everywhere you go in case you need to change a tune or go back to stock. Not all that handy. And it is expensive in comparison.

I think EFI Live is great for some people. I think it is a great tool for some people. I think it is a terrible tool for a guy that wants a little more performance or for the average diesel owner.
I get my results on a 300' clay track. The same tune is in two other trucks that ditched the Quad 215 since it couldn't keep up. There is more to be had from a proprely tuned EFILive tune than a few "little" things, far more.

Dont get me wrong, the Quad 215 is a great tune that makes great power, I have no complaints with it what so ever, there are; however, higher HP options available for thoes who desire them, applications that are as streetable as the 215.

For the normal run of the mill diesel owner wanting a little more performance, the Quad 215 and EFILive are probley way overkill for them.

·
925 Posts
QuadBoenker said:
Agreed, many people I have spoken with are afraid they will "screw something up" before they even look at the software, it is definately not for everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.