The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i told my buddy i would ask around for a good chip for his 2000 7.3 6spd. It needs to be adjustable and reliable. Preferably something that does not increase fuel pressure, rather it be timing duration. I also will reccommend gauges but i dont know what to tell him. pyro and boost but would he need a fuel pressure gauge?

Rick

·
833 Posts
he doesn't need a fuel pressure guage, typical 3 guage pods for the PSD are boost, pyro and if it's an auto then trans temp, but since he's a 6 speed he really doesn't need the 3rd guage.

DP tuner has some excellent switchable chips.

·
1,291 Posts
I would also go Dp_tuner - We can put a package together for you with Dp-tuner & Autometer or Isspro Gauges.

·
Registered
128 Posts
DP tuner has some excellent switchable chips.[/QUOTE]

:agreed:

·
Super limo owner
1,122 Posts
Hehe yet another vote for DP !

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
D-Tuner :smoke:
New Cummins = Dead
Old Cummins = Dead
Hemi's = Dead
Excursion = Dead
Acura 3.2TL = Dead
Various Ricers = Dead
Chevy Gassers = Dead
I love my 6-way Psycho Knob :Thumbup: :nunu:

·
1,921 Posts
I hear a lot of good of DP tuner as well but don't have any experience with it. I have a DI chip and it seems to work very well. From what I have heard from others they've gotten as much as 20 hp over a DP chip with their DI chip. Haven't seen it personally just that's what I hear. I've thought abuot getting a DP chip to see if he can do any better than what I've got now.

·
261 Posts
Love my Diesel Innovations chip too.

·
4,024 Posts
Here's another happy dptuner customer!!

337 Posts
my buddy also wants a chip for his 2002 7.3L and he keeps having transmission problems stock. so is he gonna need at tranny if he gets a Dp-Tuner?

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
ok, everyone says Dptuner. I have been to their site but there doesn't seem to be much info on their products, is a chip recomended or a tuner like the SCT Xcalibrator? I am pretty dumd to the power mods, i know if i do this i will need gauges. :thanks:

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
Go with the chip, IMO easier, but ifve jody a call and they can steer you in the right direction for your needs.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I completely forgot about this threed:ph Sorry. Well sine i am a mechanical guy i do not think i know of DP tuners. I might have but the abreviation has me confused. I need a link to look at them. But i have some questions. Is it a reliable tuner that does not raise fuel pressure. I dont want him to have his truck down because of my choice, that is my main concern. I will do the install of gauges and the tuner. He hauls skid loaders and excavators for his buisness, will it still be as reliable and handle the load better on say the lower levels? I told him i could probably have the tuner, gauges, and pod for under 500-600. Is that possible? I really need a website to look at it before i can really consider it.

thanks rick

·
Registered
411 Posts
ok I have an edge evolution in great condition for $300 shipped if you want it. It is a programmer and controls the transmission. Call me if you want it I just remembered I also have 3 autometer gauges (never used) sitting in my garage. They match the factory guages as far as looks go. I could probaly let them go for $200.

-dan (410)458-9152 (leave message if I don't pick up)

If you don't want to go with a guage pod, I think you can put the guages in the dash to the left and right of the steering column and in the little box where the electronic 4wd switch goes (it is blank if you have manual 4wd) that was clear as mud lol

·
aka Stroked X
268 Posts
i got the dp-tuner chip. i love it.

Sukhi

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
whats the problem with raising the Fuel Pressure? I thought with the dead head fuel set up we have that #6 and #8 needed the more fuel. Or does the tuners and chips deliver more fuel at the same pressure? Hope that makes sense, cause i just figuresd out what IMO was (in my opinion) is that right?

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have seen to many high mile PSD,s lose injectors for me to reccommend a fuel pressure chip. I dont see why he needs it, he wants reliable and some power. He is not in it for performance so i figure the timing/duration is about all he needs.

rick

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Is it possible to get the kind of chip that Rick is talking about, or tuner, that has high idle, i need the high idle for work, i don't run PTO or anything, but to keep the air cold, and for long idle times while fueling up the machinery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fast_and_furious said:
my buddy also wants a chip for his 2002 7.3L and he keeps having transmission problems stock. so is he gonna need at tranny if he gets a Dp-Tuner?

He'll need a tranny sooner than later if he's already having problems. A chip will speed this up A LOT!

·
4,024 Posts
Yes high idle can be one of the positions. Yes towing heavy loads, I use the 60hp setting and the tranny does not downshift NEAR as much as in the stock setting. I prefer the chip to a tuner because I can switch settings on the fly. I use 60tow for pulling my minni x and enclosed trailer 80economy for general driving and the 120 tune for playing. Since my chip has been in the truck has shifted much better than stock and I have never used the stock setting since the install. IMHO This is how these trucks shoulda left the factory

1 - 20 of 32 Posts