The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the serious inherent issues with the early 6.4's ? As unbelievable as it is it appears as if the early 6.4's are cheaper to buy than the alledgedly dreaded 6.0. Seriously in the market for a new super duty but gravely concerned over the number of early 6.4's on the market. Should I shy away from the 6.4 all together ? or just the early ones ? What should I look out for ? Are the later 6.0's(06 or 07's) more reliable ?


HELP !!!
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
186 Posts
The earliest 6.4s have the potential to not have had a few TSBs and upgrades performed which can cause issues. Key items are the presence of the venturi T in the coolant lines to the degas bottle, the revised EGR valve without coolant connections, and some radiator and CAC updates. Late build '08 and later 6.4s should have these issues resolved.
 

·
Super *********
Joined
·
305 Posts
Also the TCM in the Job 1's did not supply sufficient line pressure and made for tranny failure of beat on but there is a TCM aftermarket from Spartan that solves that
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
83 Posts
I purchased a job 1 with 85000 miles on it and i have had nothing but cooling problems. My first trip with it i blew the radiator then a little while later one egr cooler went bad then the other one and now the same problem again so now ford is pulling the heads on monday. So i wouldnt reccomend job 1 and to top it off the dealer wont even put arp head studs in it for me if i supply them
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
Time for a new dealer!
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
80 Posts
I did a survey of threads on here a few times and 90% of posters that have diff types of issues have or had a "tune" of some sort on thier truck, check for yourself and u will I am correct. The other 10% mostly have had rad and dpf issues. If you are gonna "tune" your truck a 6.4 is prob not what u r looking for, they seem to have prob after you get some miles on the truck with a tune. just my opinion and observation.
 

·
Super *********
Joined
·
305 Posts
Any "Issues" I have had have paled in comparison of the fuel savings and "Fun Factor" and the looks on the people faces you leave behind is priceless
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
79 Posts
IMHO, the earlier ones are showing up because they are now out of warranty. I just picked up my new 08 Saturday. Just do your homework, get an Oasis, and invest a few bucks in having someone knowledgeable look it over. It's always a leap of faith. I talked the dealer into giving me a good deal on the extended engine warranty. I absolutely would not have bought the truck without it. Remember one thing, your not going to hear about all the trucks that have very few problems on this forum.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
Also look at the size of tunes people are running that have issues your doubling your factory HP
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
You see alot of 08's because its been about 3 yrs and people trade in for a new one, plus with the new design 2011 there's probably been more of a trade up.
I have a 08 and besides the radiator and the alt. its been a great truck and almost 90k miles.
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
36 Posts
Are the serious inherent issues with the early 6.4's ? As unbelievable as it is it appears as if the early 6.4's are cheaper to buy than the alledgedly dreaded 6.0. Seriously in the market for a new super duty but gravely concerned over the number of early 6.4's on the market. Should I shy away from the 6.4 all together ? or just the early ones ? What should I look out for ? Are the later 6.0's(06 or 07's) more reliable ?


HELP !!!
I have 08 and almost 96K on it, i don't have any problems with it so far. I'm the second owner and i step on it once in a while, still good. Thank God.
 

·
Super *********
Joined
·
305 Posts
Job 1 08 with 150,000 on it. I have replaced the EGR's and have all of those miles tuned with Spartan and I have never held back form pounding on it
 

·
Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
I only have 40,000 on mine but other than 1 rad problem outstanding truck and would consider another 1. Love my Job 1 might be a little happier if I would have waited but no regrets.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top