The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 6.5 turbo (240,000mis. n still going strong) doesn't pull my 5th well .......will i have issues with 2001 d'max? any problems i should keep an eyes on or have these been reliable? or should i pay the extra n buy a 2003 d'max? :givemebeer

·
Registered
98 Posts
i think, and don't quote me on it, but the 01-02 had weaker torque conveters if u added a big chip. but i'm a cummins guy so what do i know! as far as i know they are reliable, good towing rigs. they also ride nice and smooth, if u like that sort of thing. the allison takes a while to get used to. i know some of the dmax guys will be able to help u better. good luck. oh and i loved my old 6.5. damn divorces anyway.

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
:Thumbup: 01 is reliable truck I have one and have loved it. most dependable truck i have ever had. The 01-02 had a string of bad injectors but they are covered for 200K miles or 7 yrs. :Thumbup:

·
1,705 Posts
01's are real good trucks. Love mine :Thumbup: .

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
I have an 04 but its still an LB7 and i wouldnt trade it for anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '01 has over 170,000 and still going strong - if you're not carefull it will pull the trailer right out from under the boat!

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Yes the only real issues with the LB7 from 01-04.5 was the Injectors which they are still currently under warranty to 200K miles.

·
3,754 Posts
01's are good some 03's had injecotr problems/overhating problems id go 01 or really save my penny's for a lbz. Any case the 6.6 is a huge upgrade from the 6.5

·
Registered
19 Posts
As Nasty pointed out there isn't much diff between an 01 and 03. The LB7 model ran from 01 to 04.5.

The only common problem with the LB7 are injectors. They fail often. The 200k extended injector warranty also has a 7yr stipulation. For an 01 your not going to have much time left under that extended injector warranty if it hasn't already busted 200k. Even if you got an 03, the warranty is not a for sure thing. If you read the fine print it only covers a very specific type of injector failure and depending upon how closely a dealer follows the rules you may or may not get coverage. Injector replacements are very pricey!

Mine failed, wasn't covered and burned a hole in my piston. So if you ask me, and your dead set on getting a GM truck I would say get an LBZ. Some of the LLY's have overheating problems but there is a cure for that. There are some on their 2nd and 3rd set of injectors with the LB7's, some are getting replacements under the extended warranty and others are paying out of pocket.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep - Injectors. I'm on my third set, but both times they were replaced under warranty. Got a little over 80k out of each set.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
I just bought one today, and I wont be takin it back! My 6.5 was a pooch compared to this thing! I have had a grin from ear to ear all day.

Tony

·
1,705 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
I just bought one today, and I wont be takin it back! My 6.5 was a pooch compared to this thing! I have had a grin from ear to ear all day.

Tony
:Thumbup: ,they are fun aren't they :Thumbup: .

·
1,409 Posts
01 or 03, doesn't matter. Personally I don't like the headlight shape of the 03's and the front clip sticks WAAAY out there!

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
01duramax6spd said:
:Thumbup: ,they are fun aren't they :Thumbup: .
I think I have a real bad fuel economy problem!:shrug:

The problem is the truck is so darn fast, I cant keep my foot out of the go pedalLOL . I loved driving it lastnight, wish I could drive it all day long :woot: . I still cant see much smoke from the truck, that might have something to do with the fact that by the time I look in the mirror I am too far down the road to see that far backLOL .

But really, I too owned a 6.5 and although I had put a bunch of mods on it, it would never be as nice as this Dmax. If you have a chance to get a newer Dmax then jump on the chance. I did and I wont ever regret it, yes the maintenance may be a little more if something fails, but after driving one, you wont care. The old truck will always have a special place in my wrenching heart, but now that I will have more time to just drive and have fun, I will get over the loss.

Take one for a spin and see what you think, you wont be disappointed, trust me, I wasnt.

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.