The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt this thing will ever sound like my old 6.0L straight pipe, but I take what I can get.

Anyone had the chance to compare a straight piped 4" next to a 5" straight pipe ?

:happymugs

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
:popcorn

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I can't compare to anything other than I have the 4" DP back with dual exit 4"....

I have a video doing some burnouts on you tube "2008 F-350 doughnuts and burnout"

·
Registered
370 Posts
I install them all the time, the 5" has a deeper sound over the 4". I usually run with a straight thru muffler just to knock of any "edge" on the exhaust note. Let me know if you need any assistance or suggestions on brand/type.

·
85 Posts
Have 5" Flo Pro straight. Sounds great:D

·
Strokin' and Smokin'
517 Posts
It depends on what type of exhaust you put behind it all too. My truck has a 5" delete with 6" stacks and it's nice and low, and gets really loud on WOT. My buddy has a 4" delete with a single MBRP and his sounds much higher.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
I have stock exhaust and 4" DPF/DOC delete. Sounds good once you get past the hair dryer sound. Soon to be getting a 5" single or 4" dual exhaust.

·
176 Posts
I install them all the time, the 5" has a deeper sound over the 4". I usually run with a straight thru muffler just to knock of any "edge" on the exhaust note. Let me know if you need any assistance or suggestions on brand/type.
Sean,

What do you suggest to help knock down the hair dryer sound from the straight thru pipe? I like the rumble of the pipe you sent me but not the other sound.

Thanks,
Gerry

·
2,183 Posts
muffler

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Dome people say the Aero muffler works well.

·
246 Posts

·
246 Posts
How come no one seems to ever talk about aFe diesel exhaust systems? I don't know anything about the product, but if their intakes are so great, maybe their exhausts are ok too? I know you can get their stainless 4" dbf back with 8" muffler for about 400 bucks ...

EDIT: link-> http://afefilters.com/exhaustsystems.htm

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me clarify my question..... What brand of muffler do you suggest to use to help knock down the hair dryer sound?
Aeroturbine XL series. No hairdryer --- period !

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can only comment on FloPro products. The 5" single has a deeper tone than the 4" single, however the 4" dual exhaust is the loudest.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have any good vids with WOT?? I am afriad if I put on muffler it will be too quiet
No sound clip. I tried it one day, and the mic on my Sony camera is crap at best; some good wind noise :haha

The XL does make it almost too quiet in my opinion. I believe there to be a model "non-XL ? ? ?) that isn't quite as quiet.

I'm still leaning toward a 5" straight pipe. Some say it's quieter than a 4", and not quite as obnoxious with the hair-dryer effect. I couldn't live with the factory 3-1/2" (even with the resonator) as the hair dryer was bordering on ridiculous. I'm thinking the larger diameter will reduce the air speed and increase the frequency of the wave coming out of the DPF/CAT delete pipe.

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
I'll let u know how the 5" sounds when I get my truck back.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll let u know how the 5" sounds when I get my truck back.
How's your truck doing ? It's down right now - correct ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts