The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to the diesel world after some research i picked a 97 2500 xcab long box. The main reason for having this truck is plowing snow commercially and i am very happy with it for that. But very unhappy when i hook my trailer to it my 05 silverado gasser can pull circles around this tank! what can i do to get a little extra out of it but still be reliable? Im not looking to race it or hook to a sled just want some power to tow a heavy load and maybe light the tires up once and awhile lol. Keep in mind this truck works hard at low speeds with limited air flow cant have it overheating all the time

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

·
688 Posts
please read the stickys at the top, there is a ton of information up there on what do to get more power.

First I would get gauges (EGT, Boost) to start with.
Fix the KDP (killer dowl pin)
If it is a manual you may need a bigger clutch, if it is auto it wont mike much more power than stock!
Tell us more about your truck, 4x4 manual ect...

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as gauges have been looking at the WATCH DOG by BULLY DOG would this be a good choice i want a all in one set up. I have read a few things about mods to do would like a better idea of which would be best for my situation. The truck is a ram 2500 4x4 12 valve , auto 190,000 miles and as far as i know bone stock everything

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
put some money into the trans. a full build would be best especially since you tow and plow with it.

get some gauges. the watchdog looks alright but ive always been an analog gauge kinda guy.

then a BHAF and exhaust.

pull the plate and tune the AFC.

governor springs.

that should give you a pretty good bump in power.

Garrett

·
688 Posts
I also prefer the Analog gauges for our trucks. A good 4 inch exhayst would be good or you can just cut out the cat and the muffler and run it staight if you want (it is loud).

But since your truck is an auto you are going to want to spend some money on the trans or it will not last long at all.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as far as the trans goes just a upgraded valve body and converter or do i need more? whats so good about analog? just the look of them or are they more accurate,dependable maybe?

·
688 Posts
You could probably get away with those on the trans, I know some guys on here that will be able to give you more input on that than I could. If you are failry mechanical you may be able to save some money and do the trans stuff yourself.

As far as the gauges, I personally think they look better and are easier to read for me. That is just my opinion, you are the one who has to decide on what you like and go with what you think will work best for you. I dont think either is a bad choice, it is a must to have the gauges as soon as you start modding the truck. That is the most important thing!

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool well i have rebuilt a few older GM trans pretty straight forward if you pay attention when taking it apart but never been in a mopar are they more complex?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts