The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still not certain which gauges I want to install (analog/digital) or where I would mount them. I dont think I want the a-piler for analog - just might be too much 'in my face' and I know I cant install them overhead cause of the moof roof control console (see thread http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30821&page=2)
- so I was wondering if I went analog and under the dash - are they hard to keep an eye on? If I went digital (Quadzilla Commander) then the a-piler mount might work but I would want to be able to quickly remove the gauges for security. And then there is the Quadzilla Recon but I dont know if I like the idea of only seeing one reading at a time.

Also, if I went analog, since my currect dash has a boost gauge - should I still install a boost gauge or should I consider another one - like maybe an oil pressure gauge.

I know this topic might get beat to death but I want to be certain before I drop the $$ and this place is great for getting advice.

-Mark

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
I wouldn't bother adding a boost everyone has said the factory one is dead on w/ aftermarket so that would be a waste of $$$ in my opinion.

You can install the over mirror mount even though you have the moonroof and stuff. I have one installed along w/ the power pup on the a pillar. I will get pics this afternoon to let you see what I am talking about.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
but the boost gauge is so fun to watch move!!

·
172 Posts
I had all three set ups:

Edge Attitude-Was nice but ended up setting the display to read only two parameters at a time. I found that anymore that that was hard to view when the digital numbers were spiking all over the place when I was on the go pedal. Ditched the Edge since I dreaded the Shift Flares!

3 Pod A-Pillar with Autometer Guages- Did'nt like them once installed. Gauges didn't match the dash very good, had to lose the grab handle, and felt that the guages were an anoyance and actually bothered my view when driving. Also, I tapped into my Map sensor and my boost gauge flexuated all over the place. Didn't want to tap into my stock elbow! Like most others, I went with this set up because it seemed to be the coolest :pointlaugh

Ended up with the Quadzilla Recon XZT Monitor-Cheap, Accurate, Different, and very easy to read, install, hide, or remove!

For me this little guage works great! I watch my factory boost gauge and leave the monitor on EGT. Only when I'm towing heavy up a steep incline will I ever need to push the button to see what my Trans is doing.

For me less is more...Whatever you decide have fun with it! :woot:

There's pics of my monitor in my garage if you haven't seen them!

Analog gauges= :pointlaugh

:sofa

·
172 Posts

·
Diesel Enthusiast
48 Posts
Here is a picture of my overhead pod with the moon roof console. The pod has to be mounted off center to get full view of the gauges but still looks good in my opinion. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ebusa I have a very similar head unit in my truck.

·
Life is good
123 Posts
I have my gauges mounted under the dash and they are easy to see. I too was worried about location and didn't want the a-pillar's but have no regrets putting them under the dash.

sorry the pics suck camera phone

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
are the gauges on the pillar that big of an annoyance? I really wanted some on the pillar....just freaking cool haha. but if they suck that bad, i might have to sacrifice some cool factor...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my suggestion would be to drive a truck that has the pilar gauges...that is what i did and then decided to go with the overhead (above rear view mirror) pod cause it seemed that the piler pod 'attracted my attention' alot and I thought they would not as much being overhead...

·
417 Posts
Again, if you have a factory installed autodimming mirror the overhead will not fit unless you remove the mirror and drop it an 1"

·
417 Posts
chargedfe said:
I have my gauges mounted under the dash and they are easy to see. I too was worried about location and didn't want the a-pillar's but have no regrets putting them under the dash.

sorry the pics suck camera phone
That is also a nice install. I have a big storage tray where you have your gauges so that's no good for me either. I am also undecided on what to use for gauges. Might just go for the livewire when it comes out which should be under $600 from the vendors here. One thing is the size of it where to put it but it reads I believe up to seven parameters. Maybe velcro it to the storage tray down on the dash. Another option is the Quadzilla commander on a A-pillar pod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts