The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3L. When I bought it, the previous owner had already installed the 6 position Bully Dog chip, 18K power module, Glow-shift gauges on the pilar, and 4.5" exhaust all the way back. What I am looking to do is replace the gauges with new ones, I don't really trust the readings I am getting with these glow shifts, I was looking at the Autometer Nexus series. The problem that I see with the Nexus series that I see is that the gauge controller has only so many specific input ports, and I couldn't monitor all the critical data that I want. I am looking for opinions on other gauge manufacturers and series so I can start to review what order I want to begin purchasing. For the work order that I want to start adding upgrades I am thinking something like this:

Upgrade Order List
Gauges
Transmission
Propane
Methanol
Head work- o-rings and new studs
Injectors- the stage 3(wild) from http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/injectors99.htm#250173
Twin Turbo set up

This upgrade project will be ongoing over the next few years as I keep saving for all of these items. Right now its a daily driver and more or less plan to keep it that, I don't do tons of hauling, but I love to play....I mean really who doesn't love to see smoke from the pipe and both rear wheels.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and feedback that anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
first thing that i would do is get rid of the bully dog "chip" it is junk. get in touch with jody at dp-tuner and get a f-5 or f-6 chip from him. www.dptuner.com. and if you are looking for gauges i would have to say the best that i have seen is the issipro gauges. That is what i will be switching over to when i have the money. they are easy to install and have lots of diff gauges for diesel trucks specifically. plus with the right setup you can data log what each gauge reads.

·
748 Posts
Take propane and meth off the list. As a combo or singular. There are better, safer, more reliable power adders that you can do staying with fuel only. JMO

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
what hp level are you shooting for? cuz if you are going for high horsepower there are some other things you will need to add to your list to support what you already have listed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am looking for around 600 maybe a bit more with everything dialed up, I don't want to go absolutely crazy as where I live the roads get rather icy from late September to late March. I was going to get the propane mostly for extra mpg and the meth to play; but definately want to monitor the powertrain first and then beef up the tranny before it gets cooked by the other power mods.

·
beware the dark side
125 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3L. When I bought it, the previous owner had already installed the 6 position Bully Dog chip, 18K power module, Glow-shift gauges on the pilar, and 4.5" exhaust all the way back. What I am looking to do is replace the gauges with new ones, I don't really trust the readings I am getting with these glow shifts, I was looking at the Autometer Nexus series. The problem that I see with the Nexus series that I see is that the gauge controller has only so many specific input ports, and I couldn't monitor all the critical data that I want. I am looking for opinions on other gauge manufacturers and series so I can start to review what order I want to begin purchasing. For the work order that I want to start adding upgrades I am thinking something like this:

Upgrade Order List
Gauges
Transmission
Propane
Methanol
Head work- o-rings and new studs
Injectors- the stage 3(wild) from http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/injectors99.htm#250173
Twin Turbo set up

This upgrade project will be ongoing over the next few years as I keep saving for all of these items. Right now its a daily driver and more or less plan to keep it that, I don't do tons of hauling, but I love to play....I mean really who doesn't love to see smoke from the pipe and both rear wheels.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and feedback that anyone has to offer.

Thanks!
you are going to have to add a fuel system to your list as the stock fuel pump will not be able to keep up with fuel demands at that power level. also a regulated fuel return would be benificial. also you are prob going to need new connecting rods, and valve springs. then there is the intercooler that will need to be upgraded for the higher boost levels you will be runnin with twins. you will also need a performance hpop(terminator or stealth) to keep up with oil demand for the injectors and putting on a better lpop would not be a bad idea either. dont know for sure if you will need a cradle for the bottom end of the motor but prob would not be a bad idea to keep everything together. with the right setup and tuning you should be able to get to 600 hp on just #2 without the meth or propane. they tear up motors quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts