The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im looking to buy a 02 or early 03 7.3 how does everyone like theres? any problems with the motor or tranny or anything else in those years? also apprx. how many mpg should i expect to get if its completely stock. looking at getting ext cab long box 4X4. thanks

·
97flatbed7.3
57 Posts
I love my 97 7.3. Stock motor with 356 gears I was getting 19 mpg. The only problems I've had with my truck so far was some small fuel leaks on the valley of the motor. I replaced my fuel bowl and fuel lines and problem solved. Just keep up with regular maintenance and you should be fine. I'm finding small things here and there with my truck that ill have to replace shortly. Once it warms up ill be doin valve cover gaskets, glow plugs and new injectors. Previous owner never kept up with or replaced so gonna take care of it. Don't jump onto the first one you find. Friend of mine bought the first one he found cause it was lifted and all done up, he's spent thousands thing to fix the truck

·
28 Posts
I love my '97. IF I replace it it will be with an '03 7.3, due to intercooling and a couple other small issues.
Definitely second the take your time issue. I took a while and got a smoking deal on mine used with 160k on it. Aside from the obligatory Auto Tranny rebuild, the only problem I had was a couple time the right side door wouldnt work. (might have been the Dodge van buried in the B pillar the first time, or the Herford cow the second time, neither one my fault, believe it or not.)
Enjoy!

·
81 Posts
Make sure you inspect the turbo fins for wear due to dirt getting past the air filter and get a compression test to make sure the engine is in good codition and not dusted.

·
28 Posts
It developed some torgue converter slip/limp issues. Got it rebuilt with some upgraded parts(good trans shops "just do it" for you when they rebuild them), and not a whisper since(spell check goes here).

Just got off a road trip hauling 4 bikes, trailer, 4 dudes, to Arizona and back in my buddies later '03, and that may have slipped the 7.3 noose, just a bit(great mpg, 4 doors, blah blah blah). Still love my '97.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts