The Diesel Garage banner

Looking to get a 24v

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  cajuncummins 
#1 ·
#3 ·
how hot are you looking to make it? the HO trucks don't take to speed parts as well as SO trucks, but other than that the mileage is low, it looks like it's in good condition and if you keep your fuel pressure in check you should be good, just check for the normal 24v stuff and you should be good

#6 ·
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
looks like a virgin

Nathaniel LOL

It's un tinkered around with, that makes it a A+ at the price. It's not the best for modding though because the tranny is a 6Speed so drag racing is out of the picture. And the engine is a ETH so it's not going to take mods too seroius. If you plan on leaving it stock you'll love it because the ETH engines get mileage more like a car. Even with it being a 4x4, extend cab, long bed. It'll still get mileage like a car if your foot takes enough vialum.

#7 ·
24v problems, just what HC said, but to elaborate, weak lifter, kills IP, get a fuel pressure guage and at WOT it should never dip below 7 psi, if you can help it 10 PSI, there's plenty of people and threads on here to help diagnose IP troubles.

as for the tranny the NV 5600 has had it's parts stopped being manufactured, so after a time it will become more difficult to locate and commondeer(?) parts cheaply,

#8 ·
Don't let any of us VP44 geeks scare ya away though. The ETH has a fuel pump that flows more than the ETC. So VP44 failures should be less common, coupled with the fact the fuel pump connection is also in a better place that is less impacted by corrsion. The NV5600 is discontinued which is bad. But it is very strong, maybe one of the best trannys to have behind these thing rolling off the line. If they broke alot you know someone would still be making parts. The ones behind the ETH's had upgraded syncos and input shaft.

It's a very solid truck don't let anyone fool you, one of the best that rolled off the line.... but you are talking to bunch of people who know all about what goes wrong in these. Because that's all we talk about. We have no clue what could go wrong in a 01 Powerstroke. But I have a feeling it's probably alot worse than what could wrong in a 01 Cummins.

#9 ·
01 powerstroke, I think this is the year they switched to powdered metal rods, they can't take over 400ish horsepower, but other than that good motors, but I'd MUCH rather have this Dodge, I think that the 01-02 have the best interior comfort-wise, and Phily's right, all of the peopl 'round here are so used to dealing with the weaknesses of these truck's because of people who bought it used from someone who didn't what the fuel pressure that we've goten used to preaching the weaknesses, but actually, good LP and what the pressure and the IP will last a long time, and hey, dynamic timing, right?

#10 ·
They are a very solid truck. I'm not trying to jump on the band wagon for dying VP's, but that is one inherent weakness in these trucks. Its not an if but a when, they fail for lots of reasons not just low fuel pressure. But the low fuel pressure is the most common problem, the next most common problems are siezed distributor rotor (which yours shouldn't have much problem with being an 01, however it can still happen), and the electronics fail. Yes it is kind of pricey when they go out, however all trucks have their issues and if you buy the truck anticipating the issue you can be prepared for it, and it may not happen until well beyond 200k if you even have the truck that long.

Another common problem is with the vacuum pump set up, the seals at the through shaft to drive the ps pump start leaking, and then a shop tries to charge you nearly $1000+ to replace it (I've heard up to 2200). Don't worry about this, there is a simple permanent fix for roughly $60.

That truck looks really solid, and is a really good platform to start from whether you're using it for a work truck or for modding. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one to anybody, and like I said somewhere above, all trucks have their problems. And its better to know about them in advance.
Sean

#15 ·
i would check for drum or disk in the rear check the block casting stay away from the 53 if you click the ignition from the off to the start position 3 times quickly but do not start it the odometer well give you codes if its got one of any kind i would have them pulled with reader 216 is death to IP $$$ just a few tips but the truck looks good overall very happy with mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.