The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

is there a safe way to adjust the steerin box in an OBS to get rid of the 6 inches of slop i have?

thanks
~Tim

·
The Big Meanie
5,220 Posts
boy.....that is soooo not the way I thought this thread was gonna go when I first seen the title.............

kevin

·
Mega-Member
584 Posts
bigdraft said:
boy.....that is soooo not the way I thought this thread was gonna go when I first seen the title.............

kevin
Lol!!

·
461 Posts
6" of slop in your box? that's unfortunate. you need to talk to her about that.

holy wayyy to much information on one webpage. that guy needs to be introduced to links.

Anyway, his procedure is pretty good. You loosen the locking nut, and tighten the bolt, go like 1/8 of a turn at a time. You can really improve the dead spot like this, but you have to be careful because going too far will eliminate your return to center and also cause drastically accelerated wear on the steering box.

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry to dissapoint y'all with the title......

will i be able to tell if ive gone to far?

·
461 Posts
i think its one of those things where you want to go in really small steps until you're happy with the improvement. I think if you notice a loss of return to center, you've gone way too far. I think officially, there is a torque for the bolt. maybe? not sure. back when i had a grand cherokee I had the chyrsler factory service manual that included info like that. I haven't found an equivalent for these trucks hard copy wise. I have that CD thing, but I'd have to check it when I got home.

Paul

·
112 Posts
Think of it like a ring and pinion gear set, you want a little backlash. Grab the steering shaft near or at the box and twist it by hand, you want a little backlash, any should be enough, none is to tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts