The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gear selector on my F350 has some play in it. It shifts fine, and orange mark lines up fine with correct gear, but the lever itself has some play. Anyone know how to tighten it up? I had a few minutes and took a look, but can't get the top plasic cover off the column to see. Thanks for the help. Levi

·
1,700 Posts
I could write a book on this but I will start with this, because it is what I see most of the time.

First get under the dash with a flashlight and look up at the end of the column right above the steering shaft. Look for the metal bracket that the shift cable clips too (it may help to reach up and wiggle the shift lever to see what Im talking about). There are two T30 torx bolts that mount that bracket to the shift tube. I have seen more of these bolts come loose than anything else, you can just tighten them up or take them out -1 at a time- and put loc-tite on them.

The T30 bolts Im talking about can be reached with a 3/8" ratchet and maybe a small extension. Sometimes it helps to shift the trans into another gear to rotate the linkage for access, just make sure the truck can't roll anywhere.

If those are good and tight, let me know and I will explain how to remove the shrouds and lower the steering column to get to the shift tube and stuff.

Reactions: Levi'sford

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the bolts, and they were tight. Had to take it to dealer for other work so had them take a look at it. $400 later they had it like new. Not sure what all they replaced, but it is really tight. So yesterday (4 degrees outside), I'm pulling out of our nursery and all of a sudden shift lever is very sloppy. I can feel it select a gear, but it isn't even close on the indicater on dash. Kinda pissed, but figure I can drive it home. Well a second later one of those T30 bolts fall out and hit my foot. Two hours later, out side, laying on my back under the steering wheel I got it in. Didn't have any lock tight, so will have the pleasure of doing it again. Just want to thank you guys for the info. As soon as that bold hit my foot I knew exactly what to fix, just not easy for a 6'3", 260lb guy to fit in there very easily. Anyway, it's fixed and works like new again. Happy New Year

1 - 4 of 4 Posts