The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this problem or any solutions to a loose steering gearbox? Apart from the tires on my truck being worn out on the inside from the chamber on the straight axles the truck has some really sloppy steering. I tried to tighten it up at the adjustment screw but it doesnt seem to have made any difference. Even while just sitting in the driveway and turning the steering wheel the gearbox give a nice gear clunk and will move about 5-10 degrees of play while the engine is off. Thanks in advance.

·
3,533 Posts
If the slack is in the sector gear, what you do is turn it fully to one side, then loosen the lock nut and turn in the screw fully, back it out 1/8 of a turn and lock the nut. drive it slowly turning it full right then full left if it is stiff at the ends back it up slightly keep doing this untill it is free both ways.
One other thing to check is have someone gently shake the steering back and forth and you touch the individual joints looking for slack. Check the steering shaft, for slack, also, be sure the bolt holding the input yoke is tight.
Just a thought!

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to that adjustment screw that requires an allen wrench, right on top of the gearbox? The slop is definitely the gearbox. My dad and I went over everything from the column to the rods and the gearbox was the only thing with play in it. Wasn't sure if it was safe to run that adjustment screw in a lot and tighten it up or not.

·
3,533 Posts
Yes that is the one!
What I do is first spray with penatrating oil, then from the top, beside the radiator on many units you can use a long extension with a flex, and a deep socket. You can break it loose, put wrench on the nut so it stops on something and then use an allen socket to turn the adjuster in.
I have done quite a few with good results, check the steering box mounting bolts also.
Just a thought!

·
1,324 Posts
Yes that is the one!
What I do is first spray with penatrating oil, then from the top, beside the radiator on many units you can use a long extension with a flex, and a deep socket. You can break it loose, put wrench on the nut so it stops on something and then use an allen socket to turn the adjuster in.
I have done quite a few with good results, check the steering box mounting bolts also.
Just a thought!
John is this the same on a Ford too? I have messed with mine some but if the procedure is the same I will give it a try Friday.

I was worried it would bind up if I tighten it too much.

·
3,533 Posts
Same thing, I do not remember sizes, but have done those also they are all the same, Dodge GM and FORD.
Be sure you check the mounting bolts, I have found many that become loose.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my concern to that you can tighten too much. Any reason why the wheels need to be turned to one side?

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
2,063 Posts
That is the way it should be done.

You will have the most wear in the center of the screw and the least at the ends, so you will need to turn the wheels to one side to get it right.

·
1,324 Posts
That is the way it should be done.

You will have the most wear in the center of the screw and the least at the ends, so you will need to turn the wheels to one side to get it right.
That makes sense!

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the wheels turned to one side and sure enough she's all tight. Thank you guys!

One more question since it still relates to the gearbox, could too much fluid in the system cause the same problem or slightly the same problem?

I'm thinking the big *** mud terrain tires I have grabbing every groove is still some of the issue.

Thanks again!

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still being pretty jerky. Is this normal?

·
3,533 Posts
What I would do is jack up both wheel with the wheels turned hard over, then spin the wheel. I have had a few that when the "U" joint on the stub shaft siezes it will jerk the steering, even with the the unit out of 4 wheel drive.
Just a thought!

·
1,324 Posts
Improved mine and yes 1 of the 3 bolts took about a 1/4 turn. Thanks!

:handshake

Wes

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found my culprit, when I get a chance I will post a picture it was something I never expected to find when I greased all the joints and tie rod ends just for good measure.

But the gearbox mount to the frame sheared it self in two above the lower bolt to chassis :gaah Good thing I have another.

I did just that jacked it up off the ground to take the pressure off.

·
3,533 Posts
That is a great way to do it if you have new parts, after a complete rebuild.
On old parts you have to improvise, the area of the sector gear and worm that is not worn is at the ends on an old box, that is what you have to make the adjustments to.
The middle is worn and will lock up when turned to the ends, if the adjustment is done there.
Bin there done that.
Just a thought!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts