The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2000 F-250 4x4 has a loose steering wheel, but only towards the left. When the wheel is pointed straight, I can move the wheel 2" - 3" counter clockwise before it starts to turn. It's not very obvious around town, but on the highway its a biatch. Any ideas what it could be? :damnit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Start by checking the rod ends and steering column. If all is tight it is more than likely your gear box.

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Zaairman said:
So, my 2000 F-250 4x4 has a loose steering wheel, but only towards the left. When the wheel is pointed straight, I can move the wheel 2" - 3" counter clockwise before it starts to turn. It's not very obvious around town, but on the highway its a biatch. Any ideas what it could be? :damnit

haha, mine does that too. i hate it, but dont feel like fixing it. check tie rod ends.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah man I have a 2000 F-250 4x4 too and I had to replace the gear box. I had to hold it to the left to keep her goin straight down the road. A new gear box will run ya about $400 bucks!

·
SLAPS Treasurer
101 Posts
Sometimes you can tighten the gear box a little and get rid of some play.

Chris

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ytee said:
Sometimes you can tighten the gear box a little and get rid of some play.

Chris
How do you do that? It has passed state inspection with the loose steering wheel. The guy working at the shop said it must have been the gear box, but I didn't really take his word for it cause it was a small hole in the wall podunk shop...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had to do that to mine for loose steering as well. You can tighten the steering worm gear by opening the hood and finding the steering gear box. Then you will notice a small nut and allen screw on the top of the gear box. Back the outer nut off a few turns and then tighten the allen screw to the right. Use caution, when you back the lock nut off, it will sometimes move the allen screw as well. You could work against yourself if not carefull. I like to hold the allen screw while backing off the lock nut, then hold the lock nut again while tightening the allen screw. Then finally, tightening the lock nut back down. The Ford tech that told me this advised to only turn the allen screw a 1/4 turn at a time and then drive check the vehicle after each 1/4 turn to see if it was enough to remove the play. If not go back and keep tightening in 1/4 turn incriments until you get it where you like. Another word of caution, dont go too tight with your steering box, as you need a slight amount of play to keep from constant over correction while driving and you can wear out your gear box more rapidly if its too tight. Good luck.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah.. I'm thinking I'm gonna need a few turns... LOL

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I'll get this done as soon as its not, oh, 115 outside with humidity. Any other suggestions as to what it could be? I *think* that on my last oil change I noticed that one of my tie rod ends had a tear in the boot...

·
SLAPS Treasurer
101 Posts
Tighten a little bit at a time. If you tighten it too much the wheel will not go back to center after turning a corner.

Chris

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just in case anyones planning on doing this anytime soon, the keeper nut is a 16mm and it's a 3/16 allen key:Thumbup: I was able to turn mine one full turn and still isn't too tight:shrug: Did fix the gap and road wonder though.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tightened the steering box today, and all is good. I got about 2 turns out of it... :damnit

·
Registered
657 Posts
Zaairman said:
Tightened the steering box today, and all is good. I got about 2 turns out of it... :damnit
LOL Yeah I gave mine anothe 1/2 turn today and it still auto corrects with a little play.Maybe tomorrow I'll give it another 1/2:Thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts