The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck I check the mileage and it got about 18.5 mpg
now about a year two years later it has drop to about 14 mpg.

I have a # 8 Plate and 4" exh. 1996 Auto.

I have nocited in last few weeks ago that it seems that is does not have the power it had.

The motor seems like it has a hard time to spoil up or grain RPM from take off.
this truck has never ran as good as other truck that i have drove, I know of two differant truck that have the same mods as my truck and they run 4X as good as mine does.

What do I need to do to this truck.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Star wheel in the middle? Boost fooler? Stock tranny slipping would knock your milage down!

·
126 Posts
CHECK the boost line for leaks

·
4,827 Posts
New fuel filter, or has the fuel strainer been cleaned?

Don't know where you live, but if you are running blended fuel, winter mileage will be lower than summer.

Do you have any exhaust leaks between the head and turbo mounting flange? Any loss of pressure will cause lower boost.

Is the boost line to the AFC housing pinched or cut? If not enough boost gets to the AFC housing, you won't get full fueling.

Any brake shoes dragging at all? A bad ball joint will **** the rotor and cause the brake to drag also. Been there, done that. If it is a bad ball joint, do the upper and lower at the same time, then you won't have to pull the arm off again to do the other.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
all of the obove mentioned, 1. fuel filter 2. boost lines and exhaust leaks 3. timing, also, you could advance it a little for better timing and power if you do decide to do it

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
cajuncummins said:
all of the obove mentioned, 1. fuel filter 2. boost lines and exhaust leaks 3. timing, also, you could advance it a little for better timing and power if you do decide to do it
:iagree

CajunCummins is right on all the above...

I'm going to add that it could be poor fuel (high cetane fuels - winter fuel)... Too much additives (cetane booster/injector cleaners)...

Even my MPG is down compared to my pass...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/2002 Dodge MPG Graph.pdf
Written copy...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/2002 Dodge Fuel Records.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts