The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been losing coolant for about 4 years now. It comes from the cap on the degas bottle, bout once a month i put about 2 qts in it. Ive replaced the cap and it still does it. Does anybody know what could be causing it. Ive read all over about radiator leaks and hose leaks and orings but I have had none of these leak. It only comes from the cap. Ive tested the air in the degas bottle for diesel exhaust with a blue point test kit and its been negative everytime. I bought this truck new in 4/2007. Its a job 1 and I did the venturi hose kit when it first came out and Im still running with original radiator. I have 61k miles. Any help is appreciated. Thx

·
1,324 Posts
Sounds like you got a crappy cap. Watch this discussion on Ford caps.

http://youtu.be/xM38rFuI_YE

Adrianspeeder
This guy may be a little over the top but that is a video any one with a 6.0 or 6.4 should watch. My cap was making a very high pitched whistle this summer so I put a new one on. I think it had more to do with the tranny fluid that went thru it ( whole other story). New cap is a definite must.

Thanks for the link. :wave

Wes

·
1,324 Posts
Tranny fluid!?!

Glad I have a stick.

Adrianspeeder
It's a wonderful transmission and i wouldn't trade for a stick anyday. Unfortunately the person who assembled the cooler in the radiator at the Visteon plant in Mexico tweaked the fittings and it split open performing what I refer to as the "sharing of bodily fluids". The night I opened the hood to find red coolant spewing from the degas cap was a rough one. One used radiator and a rebuilt 5r110w later. Human error sucks.

Stay safe and thank you for your service. I hope you were able to be home for Thanksgiving.

Wes

·
Oldfart
14 Posts
I'm not gonna go through this whole deal here but you can read my whole long story over on FTE Ford Truck Enthusaist/forum/diesel/6.4L Same sig as here. There are 3 long threads on this subject. Short version is this. Next time it pukes just clean the tank and do not add coolant. let coolant stay about an inch and a half below the bottom cold fill line. Or, go to Ford and buy updated degas tank and install it. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts