The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dads 03 loses fuel prime if its below freezing, at first we thought the truck was gelling up but Its been below zero here for the past week every morning(except yesterday) and the truck will start then shut off within 10 sec. then if I prime it, it starts right up and runs fine. Saturday I went out to start it and primed it first (witch you could tell it needed by the way it primed) and it fired right up and ran fine. Is there a check valve I should take a look at? The problem is hit and miss if its above 15 degrees. Thanks.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
The stock fuel system works off of vaccum. The CP3 has a low pressure side which draws fuel. Saying that I would check or change the stock filter first. This is a likely place where the system could be drawing air or causing it to lose prime while not running. Try that for starters. :)

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Lots of the stock fuel filter assemblies go bad and start doing that. I was one of the latest victims on my truck and decided to resolve the issue by installing a AirDog FP150. I havent bypassed and removed the stock assembly yet, but plan to do so in the very near future. After installing something like a AirDog or FASS you can eliminate the stock filter and just empty the new water seperator once a month and change filters per owners manual.

I believe a filter head assembly is around $200 and a AirDog cost me $516 delivered.

To explain the filter head problem, there is a check valve, but it cannot be replaced. The whole assembly needs to be bought to fix something as simple as that check valve. Its dumb, but thats how GM is keeping their parts sales up right now!

Hope this helps,
Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts