The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the deal got everything going finally and im only getting 5psi max boost. cdr on intake is blocked no other gapeing holes that i know of. had to back off the IP flow screw so now its only one flat from its orignal setting rather then bottom out like before. what am i missing? i have the Hypermax kit on the 86 f250 6.9L

·
Registered
290 Posts
Make sure the up pipes that go into the turbo are in there good, and have a good seal, otherwise it could lead to an exhaust leak that would cause less exhaust to go through the turbo which equals low boost. Second check the intake side of things to make sure that there are places that boost is leaking out. Other than that, turn the pump up somemore.

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
Are you getting this reading running empty? Those turbo systems give more boost when you are pulling a load than when your empty.
You have to be careful with a 6.9, they have small head bolts and too much boost will give you head gasket problems. I personally don't like to see them reach over 7 psi max and normal running 3 to 4 psi is sufficent. The simple truth is any boost is better than making it suck.
Hook to a load and test it out, adjust your pump pressure to where it smokes when you hit it but clears out when your up to speed. Excessive smoke is a waste of fuel and raises your EGTs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My hypermax turbo would only push about 5 to 7 psi of boost also. It's just the way the turbo is, however when I had my bigger injector pump built with a higher rpm it pushes 12 to 15 psi of boost. the hypermax is a small turbo and just does small boost unless you spool it at a higher rpm. 15psi for a short time is ok with these trucks but that's it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the only load is me! lol and before i added te turbo it smoked when i punched it then went away one i achived speed. what color soke am i looking for?

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
Black, Black, Black:smoke
Blue is bad that means oil:eek:mg
White that lingers is unburnt fuel (usually bad injector):damnit
White that quickly disipates is normally water and can be real bad.:bang

·
393 Posts
did it linger when you didnt have the turbo? i know we tested my dads with the pump on stock and it didnt have any black smoke...none when you stood on it and white when you were idling.... we turned it back up alot and it'll smoke my cummins wit edge so yea. That was before we got the new injectors tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts