The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is virtually stock. I don't have the need to change much, but I'm also intrigued with guys who come up with low buck mods that make our trucks better.

Anyone come up with anything that makes our trucks better at little to no cost they can share?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great ideas, keep 'em coming. :)

How about some non-engine/drivetrain mods?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything that can be done with headlights? Mine aren't bad, but maybe could be better.

is there a simple bulb upgrade that can still use stock wiring harness?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i bought some superwhite's they seemed to make a difference, but there is a mod where you can have both brights and dims on at the same time.. not sure on the particulars, has something to do with jumping wires from the fuses of the brights to the dims... maybe someone else knows?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Anything that can be done with headlights? Mine aren't bad, but maybe could be better.

is there a simple bulb upgrade that can still use stock wiring harness?
Painless performance makes a simple kit to have your high and low beems on at the same time. Its very easy to install and works great. The one for my 03' was $44 and the one for my 97' was $25. Both where WELL worth it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Painless performance makes a simple kit to have your high and low beems on at the same time. Its very easy to install and works great. The one for my 03' was $44 and the one for my 97' was $25. Both where WELL worth it.
Thanks!

Just to be safe-will it melt wires or harnesses?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Thanks!

Just to be safe-will it melt wires or harnesses?
I've had the kit on my 97' for 3 years with no problems. The 03' has been on for a little over 2 years, also with no problems.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Now that sounds like a better idea than putting wires inside your fusebox LOL :thumbsup

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Anyone else got any low buck mods?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Tie-rod sleeves are about $100 for a pair, beef up your front end pretty good, crank your torsion bars up for a free 2" lift.... lol any thing else? these are just pricey toys, low buck usually doesn't apply

Oh, 4' piece of 3.5" flex tube, 3' piece of 3.5" stainless exhaust pipe, 2 3.5" band clamps and you have a pretty cheap straight pipe that sounds pretty bad:bubba, or at least i think so, some guys hate the LBZ full throttle sound, but i love it, sounds like a jet plane taking off!! :thumbsup

Reactions: Rcannon and Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did the torsion bars, but not the sleeves and got a free 1.5" lift on my 3500. I'm not a lift kit guy, but it did a great job making the truck look more level.

I'm going to do the painless wiring harness for the brighter lights now that the days are shorter and the deer are really jumping across the roads.

I can share one with you that's not really a modification, but more an alteration. If you remove your ash tray and the bracket that holds it, it makes a perfect spot to fit the Prodigy brake controller.

Shortly after the pics were taken, I yanked the lighter and replaced it with another power point, like the one to the left of the lighter. That way I have 2 power points with caps. One for battery chargers for cordless tools like my Lincoln power luber and the other power point for my cell phone charger, GPS, etc.

There's got to be more cheapy mods.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Unfortunately that doesnt work for my truck Duke, i have the center console, my brake controller is under my right hand side of the steering column

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I had the center console! The middle front seat is useless.

Oh well, maybe my next truck will finally have what I want. :bdh

Good to know they have integrated controllers and probably exhaust brakes next time I buy.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
and probably the best built, and best appointed trucks too, the interiors are awesome, i wish i had a NBS interior in my OBS truck :happymugs

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the cheapest mod I ever did was make my own Heavy Duty mudflaps. Went to Princess Auto (Harbour Freight in the US), and bought a pair of large style rubber mudflaps (for Semi Trailer Truck style) and cut them into 2 pces ea. Added some checker plate (or diamond plate), 18 ga aluminum..a few stainless steel machine screws and Nylock nuts..installed em and I think they look great. That was over 2 and a half years ago. cost me I think about $30.00 all told.

Pic was taken just North of Caglary, March 2007

Rgds,

stk

·
182 Posts
from a performance and racing stand point the Air box mod is free, you can also buy the washers for the FPRV shim for about a buck. Its not too bad to install either.

Then since I'm racing all the time I keep my torsion bars lowered all the time. I bought some 2" lowering shackles for the rear of my truck for $45 bucks from summit racing. Truck looks level again and still sits a tad higher then a stock half ton pickup.

For the EFI users you can now get the DSP tuning for the LBZ's and LMM's for $50 bucks as well. If you don't have EFI live and are near a friend who does, for $150 you can get the switch and a license for their EFI live box and have 5 EFI tunes for pretty cheap.

Debadging the truck is also free :D

As I think of more I'll post them up.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was looking more for cheapy mods to toughen-up my truck or possibly interior small stuff. I have no interest in adding power to a 360/650 pickup.

I really want airbags.

It'll just make my dumptruck more jealous. LOL

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I was looking more for cheapy mods to toughen-up my truck or possibly interior small stuff. I have no interest in adding power to a 360/650 pickup.

I really want airbags.

It'll just make my dumptruck more jealous. LOL
A baseball bat and some rust will toughen up your truck:roflol:

i painted my bowtie black for about $30 for primer, paint and clearcoat and a few pieces of sand paper:beer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts