The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little info on oil pressure. I have a 96 dually with a mostly stock powerstroke. My only mods are a K&N filter and resonator delete. My truck has only been started 4 or 5 times in the past year. I fired her up today and for some reason my oil pressure guage would not go above the lowest point on the "normal" sweep on the guage. Someone told me maybe the filter bypass was stuck and to do an oil change so I did. No change in the guage. I don't think it is a problem because my truck was running great oil pressure last time I drove it, but i dunno. 190,000 miles maybe it's time for an oil pump. Anyone else had a problem like this? I need to get it fixed so I can play.:evil:

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I am fairly certain that the late '80s to mid '90s Ford diesels used a fake gauge. The oil gauge reads the same all the time, either somewhere in the "Normal" range, or zero.

I do not know when they switched to full-function oil pressure gauges for the diesel, I know they never did on the gas engines.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The stock "guage" is nothing more than an idiot light. The sending unit is an on/off switch set at ~7PSI.

·
89 Posts
maverick said:
Need a little info on oil pressure. I have a 96 dually with a mostly stock powerstroke. My only mods are a K&N filter and resonator delete. My truck has only been started 4 or 5 times in the past year. I fired her up today and for some reason my oil pressure guage would not go above the lowest point on the "normal" sweep on the guage. Someone told me maybe the filter bypass was stuck and to do an oil change so I did. No change in the guage. I don't think it is a problem because my truck was running great oil pressure last time I drove it, but i dunno. 190,000 miles maybe it's time for an oil pump. Anyone else had a problem like this? I need to get it fixed so I can play.:evil:
Electric sender switch. If the gauge on dash is idiot light gauge and if it is reading anything, I suspect that you have a dirty contact or bad gauge head. Get a real oil pressure gauge and an AN-4 o-ring adapter and screw into top of resevoir and check pressure. Or you can pull the 1/8" npt on the oil filter and install gauge there. Switch is set for 8psi on. Normal hot idle should be 10-18psi. If you had no oil pressure, the truck would not run since the resevoir would not fill and the HPOP would have no oil to fire injectors.

Does your gauge go up with increase in RPM? It is possible that a bypass is stuck open. It is a pain to pull out the oil cooler to check - the only way.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I am getting ready to add the intake mod I found on TDG and a downpipe and exhaust. I didn't want to add all this to a motor with a fragged oil pump.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
389SixPack said:
Electric sender switch. If the gauge on dash is idiot light gauge and if it is reading anything, I suspect that you have a dirty contact or bad gauge head. Get a real oil pressure gauge and an AN-4 o-ring adapter and screw into top of resevoir and check pressure. Or you can pull the 1/8" npt on the oil filter and install gauge there. Switch is set for 8psi on. Normal hot idle should be 10-18psi. If you had no oil pressure, the truck would not run since the resevoir would not fill and the HPOP would have no oil to fire injectors.

Does your gauge go up with increase in RPM? It is possible that a bypass is stuck open. It is a pain to pull out the oil cooler to check - the only way.
I wondered about that. Is the sending unit on top of the oil resevoir the one that runs the dash gauge?

·
89 Posts
maverick said:
I wondered about that. Is the sending unit on top of the oil resevoir the one that runs the dash gauge?
Yep. That's the one.

·
6,337 Posts
Leave the factory one and just to the right is another port that is plugged. Just remove the plug and install your sender there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts