The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know theirs a kit out there somewhere, but i'm not finding it. so where can i find one or what do i need to make one. a customer of mine wants to put one in his truck.:thanks:

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
I would recommend a gauge because they are more accurate and will let you know when a problem is beginning instead of letting you know when it is too late. If you can't convince him to get a gauge, you can buy a kit from one of the vendors here or I have also seen kits on ebay. If you want to make one you will need a "NC" pressure switch set at the psi you want the light to come on at. 5psi is the norm. You then wire it from a power source through the switch mounted in the fuel system post fuel filter then to the light you mount in the cab. That's it. It is pretty easy.

Thanks to sstockton for catching my brainfart.

·
3,514 Posts
yeah, I built one for my grandfather and some of our other friends. I personally prefer the gauge, however, if you have a gauge, not only do you have to watch it, you have to know what it is telling you. With the light, I told him if this ever comes one while the truck is running, go to the dealership and call me. Everything was about $15. I used a NC (I believe it was NC, essentially, the current flows threw when there is less than 6psi, above 6psi and the contacts are pushed apart, the guys at your local autoparts store should be able to help you) fluid pressure switch that Opened at 6psi, some fittings from the autoparts store, and a red LED, that I mounted in the dash. Very simple. just hooked the pressure switch up to input side on the VP and you're good to go.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! yeah in my truck i'll put a gauge in. they wouldn't any attention to a gauge, but if a light comes on they'll see that.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
sstockton said:
I used a NC (I believe it was NC, essentially, the current flows threw when there is less than 6psi, above 6psi and the contacts are pushed apart, the guys at your local autoparts store should be able to help you) fluid pressure switch that Opened at 6psi, some fittings from the autoparts store, and a red LED, that I mounted in the dash. Very simple. just hooked the pressure switch up to input side on the VP and you're good to go.
Sean
You are right. I had a little brainfart on that. You do need a NC switch. :Thumbup: Good catch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts