The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
I have a small question,I have a 1999 F-350 and it seems a little bit on the weak side.:confused:
All filters and oil are fresh,so i began to search for problems.
High oil pressure seems ok,so I went to measure the diesel pressure.
I only have like 55 psi,seems a little bit low right???
Shouldn't it be around 70???
And could that be the culpit of my weakening truck?
Thanks guys,:handshake
michael

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the easiest way to check those?
Can I check them with my scanner and which pid should I look at?:happymugs
Thank you very much for the help

michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
The easiest way to check for boost leaks is to build a boost leak tester. Just Google that and you will see what I am talking about and how to build one.

The easiest way to check for drive pressure leaks is by looking at the up-pipes going to the turbo at the collector. If you see soot on them, they are leaking.

If you have a good scanner, you can watch boost. You will be looking for what Ford calls Manifold Gauge Pressure(MGP). If you cannot find that, just watch MAP and subtract atmospheric pressure from the number you see.

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much,will check those first thing tomorrow.
I ordered a shift kit for the trans,but also wanted a chip for the truck.(any suggestions)
I will also check the hpop because this one was in the truck from day 1,maybe it's output is getting weak.
Will keep you updated.

michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you very much,will check those first thing tomorrow.
I ordered a shift kit for the trans,but also wanted a chip for the truck.(any suggestions)
I will also check the hpop because this one was in the truck from day 1,maybe it's output is getting weak.
Will keep you updated.

michael
We would be happy to get you setup with a chip.

You can monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle with your scanner to see if your HPOP is keeping up with the demand as well.

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm back,was a little swamped with work.
I hooked up the scanner today and went for a cruise,this is what I found:madpoke
Icp pressure while stomping on it never went over 2500 psi
Icp duty cycle never went over 33%
Map guage pressure would not go over 11 psi while driving the piss out of it:confused:
There was also something which said turbo wastegate that always goes to 99% regardless of how you drive.
I don't know if that means that the wastegate is 99% open or closed:wedgie
I also had a code stored that said turbo underboost,but it did not gave a check engine light.

Thanks guys,
michael

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it maybe that the wastegate is malfunctioning and letting my boost pressure drop???
I have to check everything first before buying a 2000 dollar turbo with ball bearings and than having the same problem.
any suggestions are welcome.

thanks guys,
michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm back,was a little swamped with work.
I hooked up the scanner today and went for a cruise,this is what I found:madpoke
Icp pressure while stomping on it never went over 2500 psi
Icp duty cycle never went over 33%
Map guage pressure would not go over 11 psi while driving the piss out of it:confused:
There was also something which said turbo wastegate that always goes to 99% regardless of how you drive.
I don't know if that means that the wastegate is 99% open or closed:wedgie
I also had a code stored that said turbo underboost,but it did not gave a check engine light.

Thanks guys,
michael
In order to truly test the HPOP you need to be going about 60mph and then put the pedal to the floor until you hit 90mph. You need to watch where the ICP levels off to, not where it spikes to. When it levels off, look at the IPR duty cycle.

The 99% you are seeing is for the wastegate duty cycle which is picked up from the wastegate control solenoid on the intake manifold. It is not actually monitoring the wastegate which is controlled by spring tension.

You need to do a boost leak test. It seems as if you have a boost leak somehwere.

Is it maybe that the wastegate is malfunctioning and letting my boost pressure drop???
I have to check everything first before buying a 2000 dollar turbo with ball bearings and than having the same problem.
any suggestions are welcome.

thanks guys,
michael
Try disconnecting the red line at the wastegate and plugging it on an intercooler clamp. Then go out and see what your boost is.

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do that and report back:peelout

thank you very much,
michael

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No change what so ever,the hpop levels out at 2500psi and the duty cycle at 33%.:bdh
I also did the thing with the wastegate and it went to like 12 psi for a second or 2 and went back to the 10.88 psi.
So what now???:help:help:damnit

Thanks guys,
michael

·
Registered
49 Posts
No change what so ever,the hpop levels out at 2500psi and the duty cycle at 33%.:bdh
I also did the thing with the wastegate and it went to like 12 psi for a second or 2 and went back to the 10.88 psi.
So what now???:help:help:damnit

Thanks guys,
michael
If your duty cycle is only 33% then it is not really calling for anymore oil and your HPOP is keeping up.

Have you pressurized the intake yet to check for boost leaks?

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yess sir,I forgot to mention that.
It seems to hold the pressure.
I pressurized it till 30 psi and it held up.
So does that mean that my turbo is shot???:beer

thanks,:handshake:handshake
michael

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will change that today and see what happens.

thank you very much for the help,
michael

·
7 Posts
with the electrical powered i container pushes you never want it dry because it will gradually go out. My think is energy fioletr first if not cvhange at durations suggested. If the butter fly device needs washing on the injection

1 - 18 of 18 Posts