The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what all I can to to get my egt's down the lowest? My truck is a single cab 4x4 dually with 35" tires and not for sure what the truck weighs stock, I've got about an extra 3500#s with the welding machine and welding bed. When I tow my egt's go crazy sometimes what will get them down? I know the exhaust helps but probably not enough I want them as low as I can get which I know I'm only gonna get 'em so low but what do I need to do get a new intercooler or get away from the stock turbo?

·
511 Posts
bigger innercooler, zoodad, ram air hood

·
299 Posts
make it breathe better exhaust and zoodad mod you'll notice a difference

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya but I've got an air intake already how would the zoodad make a differince in that?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
zoodad is a hole in the fiberglass on the header panel...while your running down the road air from outside is going directly into your intake instead of air from under the hood...

intercooler, zoodad, bigger straight thru exhaust, ram air hood, bigger turbo, nos....

ive got a zoodad, intake, 5" straight pipe and my egts still get past 1400 at WOT...

·
571 Posts
The factory air flow to the filter is very round about. The zoodad will get cooler fresh air to the filter, faster.

What tune are you running? You may have to have something differant written to keep those temps down.

Also, have you done the CCV re-route yet? If not all that oil that getting put into the intercooler isn't going to help either.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
i just did the CCV last weekend so im sure theres plently oil in my IC...how hard would it be to take it out and flush it?...think that would help any?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Deffinately a new intercooler and ccv mod, I put in the banks intercooler after I did the CCV mod and my temps dropped 125 -150 degrees on average. My CAC pipes were coated in oil, but I didn't find pools of oil in the intercooler, still had a thin coat to it though. Look into new tunes as well.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm gonna try the zoodad and see if it helps any, who has the best tune for pulling the most weight innovative,elite or spartan? I've currently got DJ's but you can't pull nothing with his?

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry let me rephrase that with DJ's I can't pull what I'm wanting to pull

·
Registered
118 Posts
what do your mean "goes crazy"? where is the pyrometer installed? what temps is it going to? all this crap wont drop the exhust temp,,only a more efficient after cooler wll do that.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My pyrometer is in the exhaust manifold like it's supposed to be, when I pull they stay at around 1000 to 1100 or so I don't like that I want them down lower. I just went outside about 15 mins. ago and done the zoodad mod to see if it might let more air in to help it circulate air better I don't know?:thanks:

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about water/methanol injection maybe???

·
571 Posts
Milder or stock tunes will bring them down.
As far as your intercooler goes, a guy I work with took his out this weekend and rinsed it with gasonline and brake cleaner. Said it was pretty black the first rinse. Just make sure you let it air out REAL good before re-installing.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock sucks

Yea but on stock the egt's still got up pretty high or higher than I'd like and I couldn't get the stupid SOB to get over 55 or 60 so that's why I need a good tune cause it sucks to pull stock!

·
571 Posts
I know what you're talkin about. I love my tunes. How long are you at those temps. 1000-1100 pullin a hill isn't too bad, you just don't want to be over 1300 or so for any length of time. I usually try and keep my temps at 1000 when i'm pullin a hill. (that's towing my 13k+ toy hauler)

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well sometimes they get alittle lower but I've got an 38' 13,000 plus # fifth wheel, so for the most part they stay at about 1000 or so. Who wrote your tunes? And I wonder if somebody can make a tow w/ jake to haul that much weight?

·
571 Posts
I've got Innovatives tunes and I keep a close eye on my egt's and adjust throttle position to compinsate. But I have started puking while towing with that tune too. It is however the aggresive tow/haul with jake that probably isn't the best choice for that much weight. I'm thinking that egt's and boost aren't the only issues when towing a lot of weight and running a tune.
I think a milder tune for a little extra power, better trans programing and the jake would be a pretty good combo.
I've also noticed that when I start getting to higher elevations, 6000 plus feet, that my egt's climb MUCH faster.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I sent Innovative a message earlier regarding a simliar tune like you just described and I'm gonna wait and see what they say back about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts