The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cheapest way and/ or the best way to lower EGT's

·
4,158 Posts
Get a 4in exhaust would be first thing. Can pick one up for around $300.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya but it still needs to be put on

·
990 Posts
there's nothing to putting the exhaust on yourself. That's the cheapest way. The best way would be a bigger turbo.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about going down to a muffler shop and buying something like that. As for the turbo what about the HX35.

What about running a muffler to not running a muffler? Which is better? What should i do 4" or 5".

·
3,514 Posts
You can build a 4inch system for a lot less than that if you do it yourself. You can actually build a complete system for about $200. Just go down to your local international dealership and the parts store will have all the straight and elbows you need to get up and over the rear axle. Or you can make a shorty exhaust and do it for about $120.

As far as the bigger turbo. You shouldn't need one with just a box. I ran a hot box, rv injectors, 4in and an AFE intake, I couldn't break 1300* on 5x5. A bigger turbo will just create more lag and heat down low at this point. Your sig. says 2000 which means you have an hx on there already.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok but is 5" better then the 4" or is it just the sound. I really don't think i'm going to make over 500hp any time soon.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
4" with a flow-through muffler or strait pipe is plenty. 5" is noise and people really moving a lot of air. You should already have the hx35 on your rig. You could go to a 14 or 16 cm exhaust housing, but again more lag and you proble don't need it.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know that my truck is a 2000 and it should have a HX but it's a really late 2000 and belive it or not it has a 2001 engine in it so sadly it's a HY. So if i got a HX i'm guessing that would halp.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
why go from worse to bad, get something quality like an s300

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cummins_power said:
4" with a flow-through muffler or strait pipe is plenty. 5" is noise and people really moving a lot of air. You should already have the hx35 on your rig. You could go to a 14 or 16 cm exhaust housing, but again more lag and you proble don't need it.

where do you find a 14 or 16 cm exhaust housing?

·
3,514 Posts
Onebadtruck said:
where do you find a 14 or 16 cm exhaust housing?
You don't get one for an hy. Wow, thats crazy, I didn't know that any ever came on a 2000. Yes, an hx would make a big difference for you then and cost a lot less than an s300. If you're interested, I have one sitting on the self, shoot me a pm if you want.
Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts