The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got the edge racing juice and stage 2 afe intake and 4" tbe all done and running right (i think). My egt's seem hot to me now, i have never owned a cummins and from what i hear they run a bit hotter than fords whick is what i had before but my edge seems useless on anything above level 2. With my edge on level 0 im running about 900 degrees at 65 mph with the cruise on does that sound about right? If i turn the edge up to level 3 and hammer on the throttle it takes nothing to hit 1500 degrees within about a city block which seems ridiculous to me. I have it set at 1300 to start defueling. My first question is what are you other cummins owners running for egt's with about the same setup as im running? My next questions is whats the best way to cool it off? I havent done the egr delete yet i was thinking of doing that or a intercooler but the intercoolers seem pretty pricey. What is my best bet to cool this truck off, how much will it cool it off by removing the egr cooler vs intercooler or anything else to cool the truck down? Thanks for any help.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
The EGR is the main problem with theses trucks. I would get rid it and see what your EGTs are, also where did you mount the pryo?

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted the pyro in the same place I have always seen them in, pre turbo in the exhaust manifold not sure how you would actually explain it lol.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Did you put your pyro in the the 4-6 side or the 1-3 of the collector? It should be in the 4-6 side and be sure you don't have it to far in or where the probe of the pryo is touching the manifold.

Also getting rid of the EGR will help the truck as well as get the EGTs down some more.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok my pyro is in the right spot I believe, as far as egr cooler the only one I'm seeing its from h&s and its like $99 does that sound right or its there any other egr deletes out there that are better? The one from h&s says it will throw codes if not used with a h&s tuner, will it work with my edge also without throwing codes?

·
154 Posts
Deleting the cooler dropped my egts about 250 deg. I have the edge programer, but with deleted exhaust, I have to wait for the programmer to clear codes everytime on start up, otherwise by over head display dings and chimes saying catalist full. And in the winter time there is no heat for 35 miles unless your pulling or beating the piss out of it. My opinion take the programmer out and leave it stock.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dropped 250 degrees that's awesome that's my next mod thanks. What egr/cooler delete did you go with?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Fill your sig out and post in the vendor section and they will fix you up. It is true that you will have to wait for edge to clear codes before each start up to be code free. It can be done but is not really the choosen way anymore since Smarty and HS have everything code free. The vendors will get you set up, there is a link in my sig to the supporting vendors forum.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks neel, I have my edge set to clear codes on start up now it only takes about an extra five seconds each time I start my truck so its not to big of a deal.

·
19 Posts
I also have the edge and it is set up to clear codes on start. It only takes a few seconds and I dont have any codes. I deleted my EGR, DPF and CAT. My EGT runs around 750 to 800 at 80 mph on level 1 and about 50 more at level 2. I am getting about the same fuel milage on level 2 now as I did while the truck was stock. I love my setup.

'08 6.7 6 speed auto 140k

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like we have the same set up cowboylee, the only thing I don't have its the egr delete and I want it, I'm running about 950 degrees on level 1. Can you tell me what egr delete you did what brand what part number etc? I want to do the egr delete but can't find one that my edge will clear the codes. Did you delete the egr cooler also?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts