The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

my 1990 d250 2 wheel drive leaks diesel intermitently. not from the tank but from somewhere directly under the engine. it seems to be after a cold start (this is the canadian prairies so i mean cold start). After i start it in the morning diesel drips under the engine. it seems to stop after its warm. any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. As you can probably tell, i really have no mechanical ability to speak of. Fuel heater? i didn't know there was such a thing. It really appears to happen most after cold start up. the space where i park on the street is quickly becoming an environmental disaster. I'll google fuel heaters and try to learn some more.

·
141 Posts
It's about a 2" thick disc sandwiched between the filter and the intake plenum. The filter threads onto the spud that holds the heater to the plenum. Typically they will either be loose or the o-ring bad.

·
141 Posts
No idea. The filter is #11 on the 1st page. That's what I was talking about. It screws on to the fuel heater, up under the intake plenum. Disconnect the WIF sensor (bottom of fuel filter) and fuel heater wires before disassembly so as to not twist up and damage them. There is a square o-ring between the heater and the intake plenum that I was suggesting may be leaking either from being loose or bad.

The fuel filter will be wet with fuel if that is the problem. Have you determined exactly where the leak is coming from yet, or are you trying to diagnose it on the Internet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help. it makes a big difference trying to address a problem with some experienced ideas as opppossed to "my truck leaks" :>)

·
141 Posts
No prob. Just have a look at that fuel filter next time you start it up cold. If it's dripping from there, that's your problem.

If it's the injection pump, (forward of that location with the injector lines coming off it) then you have bigger problems.

·
57 Posts
I had a fuel leak from a rusted return line when I first bought my truck. It was hard to spot but take a light and follow the return line from the injection pump and back alongside the block and back to a Tee fitting off of injectors. ...Just another idea... But only way to find a fuel leak is to try to pinpoint an area where you believe it is coming from, then using a light, or if needed an inspection mirror, and inspect the area thoroughly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help. it turns out the fuel pump body was cracked. as soon as the truck was started it would start dripping from the bottom of the pump. fixed by applying $162 for the pump(gotta love old, mechanical dodges!) and $68 of labour. Oh and i bought a 5 dollar gasket that i didn't need ;>)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts