The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's brutal cold here I fired up the beast Sunday morning -15 overnight temp and to my surprise all my power steering fluid puked out on the floor when my Magfiner filter split open. Awesome. I fired up the propane heater to warm things up and removed it reconnecting the hose to the cooler. How does everyone else have theirs installed? I'm planning to install some tees and make it a bypass setup once it warms up a bit. It's a pita to get at when the plow is on the truck. I just cut into top hose on the cooler and added the filter when I put it on. I'd prefer to get it up someplace more convenient and less likely to damage. Do you think it cracked open from the pressure?

Thanks

·
3,051 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the plastic style. I'm going to relocate it since it's in a bad spot. I've got a second on the shelf.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Probably a slight defect that would not be a problem except at that temp level of the plastic and higher pressure with the viscosity increase of the fluid.

I think most installed them in the return line off the HB on the 7.3, but it seemed like the practice stopped with 6.0.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably a slight defect that would not be a problem except at that temp level of the plastic and higher pressure with the viscosity increase of the fluid.

I think most installed them in the return line off the HB on the 7.3, but it seemed like the practice stopped with 6.0.
What's HB stand for?

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I better look I may be on a pressure side just assumed the cooler would be return side. As usual assuming may have made an ARSS outta me. I put it in the exit side of the cooler down in front - top hose.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Yep, hydrobooster. Sorry, terminology from past life.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it was warm enough to get my bypass and new filter installed today. I opted to leave it connected just before the cooler up front but have it in a bypass loop now so even if I have a problem again it will be easy to block off and also easier to swap out. I guess I will call this power steering "flush" in my notebook. New filter, new Valvoline synthetic Dex/merc/LV (red bottle) and 1 oz of Archoil 9100. I had been running the Valvoline before.

Much easier without a Western Unimount plow in the way.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts