The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input... The state tarred and graveled my road and I slid off the road halfway down an embankment and hit two boulders about 4 foot in diameter underneath the truck. In doing so I busted my right rear wheel in half and cut the tire bead. Now the truck drives like crap! It dips and dives bad. Was pulling a tow dolly with a car on it today and it went to swaying so bad at 60 mph I almost lost it. Never did this before the wreck. I have replaced all 4 ball joints, both outer tie rod ends, 4 new tires, and a new steering box...steering is much better but the sway is awful. I don't see anything broken on rear suspension. Any ideas?

·
3,051 Posts
Something changed after the accident. If you could get the truck up on a hoist and use a large prybar on the major suspension components and see if anything else is loose or broken, check the transm mount too, also spin the drivetrain on the hoist and observe the axles + driveshaft spinning and look for wobbling. Also have a wheel alignment done if not already, that will show if anything is way out of spec.

Harry

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harry. Already had the front end aligned and it was out but not "too bad".

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
Another thought is the rear leaf spring shackle bushing-s. Maybe have someone try shaking the rear of the truck while staionary on the ground by pushing the rear of the bed sideways to create a side to side motion while you observe from different angles how things look.

Harry

·
134 Posts
AS harry said spin the wheels while elevated could have bent an axle
Ed

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok from the rear of the front wheel lip to the front of the rear wheel lip there is one inch difference from left to right

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
If you mean the lip of the sheet metal check for gap between the cab and the bed. The bed may have moved on the rail or you have a bent frame.

If you mean from the wheels lip where tie tire bead is there's a chance that the center bolt of the leaf spring pack sheared during the accident and the axle may be shifting front and back under the axle U-Bolts.

I'm betting on two with the description of the accident and the driving condition.

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you mean from the wheels lip where tie tire bead is there's a chance that the center bolt of the leaf spring pack sheared during the accident and the axle may be shifting front and back under the axle U-Bolts.

I'm betting on two with the description of the accident and the driving condition.
This is the one I'm talking about. Guess I will jack it up tomorrow and put jack stands under the frame letting the rear end sag and see what else gives.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
It may take more force then you can provide by yourself, more likely accelerating and decelerating. Also with weight in the truck or on the hitch the springs will flatten from their arc and have less tension between the axle mounting plate and the U-Clips plate then up on Jack posts sagging. Look at where the plates sit on the springs to see if the are marks fore and aft indicating movement.

Reactions: Super 05

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
So what you're saying with the 1" measurement is that one of the two axles is not perpendicular to the frame, or that the axles are not parallel. This would induce steering, like when you lean a skateboard or roller skates, and you would essentially be fighting this with the steering constantly. The alignment should have caught it if they do a 4-wheel alignment, but if they only checked the front axle, it would have been missed entirely. The shop I use for alignments uses a Hunter 4-wheel laser alignment rack. When I swapped my E99 from leafs to coils with the '05+ front axle and a 6" lift kit, I had it aligned and the only thing "off" was the steering wheel was not exactly centered, otherwise everything was in spec.

I'd suggest checking the frame brackets, rear shackles, U-bolts, blocks, leaf spring bushings, sway bar if you have one, make sure everything is solid and mounted properly. You may have even bent the housing if you hit the boulders hard enough, which would also induce rear steer and your swaying issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealership says all 4 wheels are exactly where they should be and everything looks good. Suggested a "crosswind". Going to load it again and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts