The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for you computer guys. Is it possible and if it is how difficult would it be to reprogram the Ally 1000 to shift manually when in manual selection on the columb. As it is when you select a gear, i.e 4th all of the lower gears are available for the computer to choose from. If you could lockout every other gear except the one selected you could then lug the engine more and not be subjected to the engine braking that occurs at low speeds. I think the milage would improve also especially with a manual lockup / low stall speed on the torque conv.. The tourque conv. would still function as a slip device when rpm's are way low and when coming to a stop. You have the gauge to keep an eye on temps and make sure everything cool. Just wondering.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:shrug: Nobody want's to take a crack at this one huh? Here's my thinking. An auto will always get worse mpg because of the slip in the t.c.. So if you lock the t.c. and use the torque of the engine to move you at slower speeds in a higher gear there is a milage increase. If you just want to hammer down it's in drive which is regularly programmed. This will shift way faster than you could ever with the tap shift. For low traction conditions you could start out in 2,3,or maybe even drive. A lot of older non electronic trannies have the valvebodies rebuilt to allow total manual shift. Even the tranny (I forget the #, 5r100?) in the 6.0 p-strokes will let you lock out gears up to 3rd. It would be the best of both worlds. Anybody got any take on this?

·
26 Posts
i hear ya i want a stick but GM's stick sucks (from what i read) i just think i would be uncomfortable to have your hand on the column all the time i want them to put it somewhere on the center console.... but it would be nice to lock up the converter to get better millage

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responding. I don't even think you can get a stick for the GM diesel anymore. Only Ford and Dodge. The ATS Co-pilot is big bucks but maybe someday I'll get one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.