The Diesel Garage banner

Manual Tranny Temp gauge??

944 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  imported_BigGreen 
#1 ·
This might sound stupid but does anyone run a temp gauge on their manual 6 speed tranny. I was looking at Auto lites 3 pod gauge set up. Any ideas I definetly will be getting at least the 2 pod set up with pyro and boost. Thanks, Doug

#2 ·
It's not a 6 spd, but I run a temp guage on my 5 spd. You might be supprised to see how how they can actually get.

#3 ·
Thanks for your input. My truck is a 2000 F-350 so I'm pretty sure its a 6 speed. Low, 1, 2, 3, 4, and overdrive. Dont you agree that is six forward speeds? Or does the low not count? Thanks again. Also where did you put your probe on your tranny is there a place designed for it or does this require custom fabrication?

#5 ·
fast_ashley said:
Yeah, you gotta six speed. Big Green has an OBS with a five speed. They were five speeds before the 'duties came out. So you were counting correctly.

I guess I should have clarified better. What I meant to say was "I don't have a 6 spd, but I put a temp probe on my 5 spd. Sorry for any confusion.

On mine I just drilled the PTO plate. There's a kit that Summit (I think) has out to add a drain plug to an auto trans. I used it to mount the temp probe into.

I'm not possitive, but I think I read on here that there's a port on the 6 spds.:shrug:

#6 ·
Help brand sells an add on drain plug for automatics also. Might work. That's a big plug with exterior threads internally tapped for a smaller plug, nylon gasket, and nut. The smaller plug is removed to drain or might be used to install a sender.

#7 ·
hey mna i installed a tranny temp guage on my truck and boiught the tranny plug tranny temp adapter from thedieselsite.com for like 20 bucks or something.

hope this helps

#9 ·
RacerX said:
Help brand sells an add on drain plug for automatics also. Might work. That's a big plug with exterior threads internally tapped for a smaller plug, nylon gasket, and nut. The smaller plug is removed to drain or might be used to install a sender.
Now that you mention it, I think it was ther HELP brand that I used. It's been about 3 years ago & I don't rememeber. But you description of what's in the package rang a bell.

A word of caution. The way the instructions say to put it all together has you installing one side of the drain-nut thru the pan & sealing up next to a nylon washer. The problem w/ this is that the nut will sqeeze out all the nylon. I prevented this problem on mine by inserting a metal washer in between the nylon washer & the nut. This will all make a little more sence when you get the pieces in front of you and look at how thery go together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.