The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with the Max Brake? Good?? Bad???

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Hmm... Interesting. I'm guessing that its not cheap.... :poke: :shrug:
I wouldn't want to be the test subject for it cause I'm broke. It has the proportional braking and ABS system... Just like the Prodigy Tekonosha (have it and love it). I'd be worried about the "T" fitting leaking at the master cylinder.

F

·
0 Posts
SouthWest Wheel carries them here, Max Bake. I saw it the other day when I put up a new SWW banner ad. I have been looking for a new brake controller, since mine is cheap and crappy. I owuld like to hear some first hand on it.

PS - don't forget TDG users get a discount with SouthWest Wheel.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll buy it from SWW if I can find out that it is up to snuff... Otherwise I'll keep my Jordan Ultima... I've tried the Brakesmart a few years ago and was not all that impressed with it. Way to many menus and always showed some kind of error, even though everything would test out correctly and/or was set up correctly, and that was on 3 different trucks

B

·
0 Posts
Not to take anything away from one of our SV's here, but I have a new Tekonsha P3 that I replaced a Prodigy with and it is sweet. As awesome as the Prodigy was over a conventional controller, the P3 is even that much better.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not a big fan of pendulum or inertia based controllers, especially on Dirt, Washboard, and mainly Ice and Snow…. I’ve heard tons of Good things about the P3, but at the same time I absolutely loved my Jordan 2020 I had in my Ford. I haven’t installed it on my Dodge yet, because I thought if one of these Fluid based ones are better then I’d give one a try….

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will take it back from any dieselgarage member if you don't like it. This I guarantee! It is the best control we have tested or sold, and we have sold alot of brake controls. We have sold several hundred units and no compaints yet, but it is aways nice to have a few forum guys back you up. Remember if you want anything from us type in garage at checkout and save the 5%. Advertisement off! :popcorn:

Darrick Sweeden
Southwest Wheel

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
southwestwheel said:
I will take it back from any dieselgarage member if you don't like it. This I guarantee! It is the best control we have tested or sold, and we have sold alot of brake controls. We have sold several hundred units and no compaints yet, but it is aways nice to have a few forum guys back you up. Remember if you want anything from us type in garage at checkout and save the 5%. Advertisement off! :popcorn:

Darrick Sweeden
Southwest Wheel
Darrick, think you could do compare the Max Brake vs the Prodigy Tekonosha and/or P3?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Prodigy, P3, Odyssey, Odyssey II, and Genesis are all basically the same control internally. They piggy back on your vehicle and try to mimic the vehicles deceleration or they are reactionary controls. They are very good units but have limitations. I would say the Odyssey series is better than the Prodigy series at this moment. Needless to say the Prodigy and P3 have mounting limitations of 0 to 70 degrees. Meaning if you have a steep dash or tow in hilly or mountainous regions your braking may fail. (The Odyssey series can be mounted 360 degrees, which gives it an edge) The electric over hydraulic thing is not a big deal since Carlisle updated their unit in 07'. When you compress the manual override the Prodigy series will not illuminate the tail lights (all other controls in this series of controls will). Other than that they are all the same, except the P3 has an LCD monitor and the O2 will have memory settings and graph readouts. All of these controls work how you tell them to work. You level the control, set the gain setting, and tow. This works for 90% of the towing market, they are lower priced, look cool and work well. The Prodigy was the original control in this market, but remember it is technology developed over 10 years ago. Some manufacturers have improved on this technology, while the Prodigy has not been updated except for the addition of the lcd monitor on the P3.

The MaxBrake is a completely different type of brake control. The MaxBrake is tied into your master cylinder and synchronized with your brake pedal. Think of it as a proactive control instead of reactionary. The MaxBrake will no exactly how many brake magnets you have on the trailer and preset it for maximum gain, so no more having to adjust gain. You can fine tune the braking pressure with the manual cvbc adjustment. The diagnostics is unlike any control we have seen, it will tell you if the sensor is unplugged, the trailer is discontected, if a magnet has gone bad, if a magnet is going bad, if a wire has come loose, just to mention a few. This control is the best we have tested with electric/hydraulic units. Technically when you hook it up in this environment the vehicle and trailer will work as one hyd/elect to elect/hyd disc brakes. Negatives are the price, it basically a mini computer and that does not come on the cheap. Wide design, would have liked to see it longer than wider. We do not build these controls, just sell them. It is not a cheap version of the BrakeSmart the only thing the same about these controls is they tie into the master cylinder. The hardware and programing is completely different than one another.

Needless to say we represent all of these products and do put alot of thought why we carry each one, not just because they are popular.

·
Registered
2 Posts
southwestwheel said:

Darrick Sweeden
Southwest Wheel
Dont expect Ill have to take you up on that, but its nice to know people will stand behind what the sell. Just ordered my MaxBrake from you guys, been using a P3 for some time now....works good, but curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
nospark said:
Dont expect Ill have to take you up on that, but its nice to know people will stand behind what the sell. Just ordered my MaxBrake from you guys, been using a P3 for some time now....works good, but curiosity gets the best of me sometimes.
Please post what you think about it. I know that I am setting up for a good post or a bad post, but I expect you will not be dissappointed. At least I have not seen a bad review yet. :sofa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts