The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the rising fuel prices, I may no longer be able to justify using my truck as daily driver. I am considering a VW Jetta TDI. Any thoughts on years to avoid, standard vs. manual, VIN checks, etc?

Never thought I'd see the day but have no need for the big beast anymore:shrug:

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
Your not alone in your thoughts. I have thought that too. If I could find a way to still be able to get my Challenger to the strip to race without having to have my truck I would most likely dump it to.

·
1,130 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I bought a $1500 Mercedes Diesel. The truck sits unless I ABSOLUTELY need a truck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
hopeful 6.0 said:
Due to the rising fuel prices, I may no longer be able to justify using my truck as daily driver. I am considering a VW Jetta TDI. Any thoughts on years to avoid, standard vs. manual, VIN checks, etc?

Never thought I'd see the day but have no need for the big beast anymore:shrug:
that all depends on what model year TDI you get. PD TDI's I'd buy new or with propper dealer servicing records only (camshaft wear due to using wrong oil). :popcorn:

·
32 Posts
mk1 mk2, and early mk3's were idi diesels. some had turbos some didnt. either way the mk1 mk2 cars are lighter. i believe that they easier to tune and build up for more power. i have a mk2 golf diesel that gets between 45 and 50 miles per gallon. it is non turbo and is rather slow but i drive about 100 miles a day. with the money left over from your truck you could have your self one nice vw that will turn heads and get excelent milage to boot

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. At this point, the best thing to do is continue to research and find the right car. Apparently, the VW Jetta can be tempermental and prior proper maintanance is crucial.

Do you think I'll have trouble trading my truck at a dealer with straight pipe and no muffler/cat?
Also, should I leave the Edge sitting on the dash or will that turn up their nose?

·
2,951 Posts
I have had my jetta fo 8 months now and wish I had got one long time ago:damnit . I drive around 80-100 miles everyday in the jetta and love the hell out of it. I was driving a f-150 everyday but it was killing me in gas so I traded it in on the vw. I only drive my powerstoke on the weekend or on fridays to work:woot: .

Lonnie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good luck finding a VW TDI (or a Prius, Taris, or Insight) for any reasonable price. Those cars demand a steep premium these days.

In any case, buy a manual transmission version. Automatics for these little cars are even more fuel-wasteful than on a Super Duty. Typically for these little cars the automatic penalty is 8 MPG.

·
32 Posts
there are tons of tdi's here and a lot are relativly cheap too. my suggestiuon is tofind an early mk3 or a late mk2 the idi cars are wayyy easier to work on than the tdi's and they get just as good milage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts