The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 97 12v single cab 4x4 5spd. Its got 270K on the clock. He might be wanting to get rid of it here in a few months. I went to my first sled pull this weekend to watch and might have got bitten by the bug.

I want it to be street legal go to some pulls and maybe make a few trips to the drag strip.

Well start with the tranny, If I decide to take it to the track some Ill probably go ahead and swap in an auto, fully built of course. If I decide to dedicate it to sled pulling Ill just leave the 5spd and get a big double disk.

Im looking for 650-700hpon #2. A little bottle for the track, #2 only for the sled pulls.

Im thinking traction bars with removeable blocks for when I go to the race track.

As far as the motor:
4k GSK w/ HD Springs
Laser Cut DV's
F1 Hot Rod 370's
#0 plate
Helix 2 Cam
18-20* Timing
oversized lines .093's maybe
AFC moded
Head Studs
O-Rings
Silver Bullet Turbo

Tranny:
SBC Dual Disk 4200#

Fill in what I left out??

Thanks in advance for the help.

I want to do alot of the work myself. I know I will have to have the truck timed by someone else but I want to do the GSK, valve springs, injectors, etc on my own.

Thanks
Jamie

·
3,514 Posts
I'd spend a little more time and money tuning the pump and down size the Dv's a bit. That will make it a lot more streetable. Pull the pump and have it put on a bench (test stand) and have the flow rate turned up. You can make the power you want without running the big DV's.

Timing a truck isn't hard. And honestly you'll want to learn how to do it on your own. Truck set up and driver preference, means you'll want to try lots of different timing combinations to find the one that works best for you. I'd also consider a set of DDP stage 4 injectors those seem to be popular in the 12v crowd.
Sean

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Is it street legal or street driven? If its just street legal then I vote to keep the manual, but if you plan on driving it on the street the auto and some smaller dv's will make it more enjoyable.

DDP's stage 4s are good and lots of big trucks run them. Also you should get that pump bench flowed or get an aftermarket one. But it sounds like a good list to me.

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smokem,

Would you recommend a DDP4 injector? ( are don's 155* or the DDP's 155* I dont know the difference)

With the mods I listed, (no bottle) and DDP4's or something similar, what kind of power to the ground am I looking at. I have read a few of your tech articles on here and with those I think I could the majortiy of the pump work myself.

Thanks for the help,
Jamie

Let me know what else I would need to reach 650-700 hp!!

What are the common singles that people run to sled pull??

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
If you do some head work and o-ring it, then you could probably run some better timing the 18-20, buddy runs 21* w/ 191s and 125 sticks and starwheel all the way in, on stock turbo and all stock heads and what not. Thats his daily driver...if that helps...

Nathaniel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts