The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my scan gauge 2 from bullet proof was checking things out while driving my eot temp versus my ect temp got to a 49 degree difference from the paper work I got they said 15 was normal thinking I got a blocked oil cooler? Also I am having the same problems as the 6.0 chugging thread my vgt stays around 6 at idol and 43 to 60 while driving sticking? after it warms up for a while seems to drive better any thoughts on the subject also no mods on the truck other than took the cat off had egr valve ficm and had high pressure oil pump replaced in the past any thoughts would be great thanks guys. bill

·
1,324 Posts
Cruising on the highway I'm at 188-190 on ECT and 197-198 on EOT. You will have oil in the coolant soon if not already. Oil cooler and or EGR cooler are blocked. Do both at same time either bulletproof EGR cooler or delete if its an option.

What are temps at idle? Rule out a bad temp sensor too.

Reactions: budwagon1274

·
3,051 Posts
Like Weld said, your oil cooler is clogged with those readings and needs attention asap.

Heres a quote of mine from another thread about turbo vane and boost readings while driving...

I road tested an 06' 6.0L with a fella I know yesterday that is experiencing the same boost variations at steady cruise speed on flat freeway...his ScanGaugeII VGT reading would jump around and be reading 53-58% then drop to 25-35% then back up again to 63% as the boost gauge was fluctuating, the whole time ICP and IPR were holding steady as was his vehicle speed.

We then jumped in my truck and drove the exact same route and speeds...my VGT would lock and hold perfectly steady at around 43% and my AutoMeter boost gauge was steady as a rock.

I'm thinkin turbo vanes are sticking too in this case, but also check the EBP tube and sensor for carbon blockage first.

Also, once your truck is warmed up and idling at a standstill, the turbo vanes should cycle back and forth between 15-85% on the VGT ScanGaugeII reading, along with exhaust tone changes, this confirms that your vanes are moving freely from open to close, and close to open.

But the turbo exhaust vanes can still stick under certain load conditions even though they look fine at idle with no load.

Harry

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great sounds expensive... My vgt will cycle while parked driving stays around 55-60 guess I'm stopping at the shop after work Monday

·
3,051 Posts
Thanks for the points donation Budwagon!

The oil cooler should be a priority, and maybe clean the turbo vanes while it's off the truck.

What yr model is your 6.0L?

·
1,324 Posts
:whs

Thanks for the points. I had a shop do my delete and after that experience is when I got on TDG because it was a bad experience and I needed an education. Cleaning the turbo isn't too bad and I date least have it inspected and cleaned ou may just need a unison ring. Once the oil is in the coolant it takes time to get it flushed out. I've had oil and transmission fluid in my coolant. If the oil is getting that hot it's probably breaking down and doing more damage. I'd run some Archoil 9100 thru it on the first oil change even if you don't have stiction it will help clean things out.

Good luck. :fishingboot

Reactions: harry6.0

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can this oil cooler problem be the cause of the chugging while tying to accelerate or is that a totally different matter?

·
3,051 Posts
Oil cooler issue is not the cause of the chugging, the chugging is likely turbo related.

Harry

Reactions: budwagon1274

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
talked to my guy today for a few he wont be able to get to it until next week I asked him about deleting the egr while hes in there he said no problem but I would probably have to get a tuner if I do> what is by best route if I need one? hes also gonna look int the turbo issue, anything else I should do that's not to expensive while hes in there? thanks for the help guys

·
1,324 Posts
You can run without tuning but your truck runs debated. SCT with 3 tunes is pretty standard item you can buy. KEM is an option to consider. Basically your engine is expecting something it isn't getting when you do a delete. Tune writers reassign things properly so it runs correctly.

Throw a coolant filter on since you will flushing coolant. Fresh coolant, fresh oil and some Archoil 9100.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will the stock tunes you get with the sct take care of the delete or do I need to have tunes written for that also is there a economy tune with it and is it any good if so what kind of gains might I see for fuel economy?

·
1,324 Posts
will the stock tunes you get with the sct take care of the delete or do I need to have tunes written for that also is there a economy tune with it and is it any good if so what kind of gains might I see for fuel economy?
I have a stock with delete, tow and economy. I run tow all the time and also have Atlas 40 in the FICM. I get 17-18 normally on the highway.

You need custom tunes. You buy the SCT, plug in scanner get data and send it to the tuner writer. You then get a file back from them you load in via a PC. It's simple and pretty robust operation. Tune is written for engine and transmission. Harry 6.0 recommends KEM I misunderstood their website thinking the tunes were not included costing extra and used MKM. I had a moron moment and just failed to comprehend. My tunes work fine but it's in my list of things to get some tunes from KEM to try out.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
my truck is a daily driver and I tow my boat a couple times a months 5000lbs or less so I am really looking for hassle free reliability and a few more mpg. just want to get it right and enjoy driving again. I will call kem tomorrow and talk to them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts