The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the world of diesels and bought a 2002, F250 S/D crew cab - 8 foot bed, auto trans (with OD) and 4 wheel drive (manual hubs) & 56,000 on the clock this past October. I realize that the mileage on this is never going to be phenominal, but I really expected better than I am getting. At best it has been 12mpg (all highway) and at worst 8.8 mpg (almost all city) with an overall average of 11.4 mpg. I'm pretty easy on the accelerator around the city and a huge user of cruise control on the highway. Not doing any towing right now, the truck has never been plowed.

I realize that winter mpg is poorer than summer but even if I allowed for 3 mpg increase in the summer it still isn't anything that I would write home about.

I supplement at each fillup with either Howes or Diesel Kleen.

Anyone got any comments, ideas or suggestions? I'm open to just about anything.

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
start by checking your fuel filter and air filter, if either are dirty/clogged it will destroy your mileage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recently had the dealership morons do the 60,000 service on it. I'll have to look and see what filters (if any) they replaced.

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
take it easy we aren't all morons

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Agreed, I have good friends who work at my Ford dealer.
BUT the dealer as whole is horrible.
Accomplished ripoff artists.

cjtailer, what size tires are you running and are these numbers hand-calcualated?

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
if you plan on keeping your truck all stock, then that is about the average mpg. you will be seeing. Swap out the old air filter and add a 4" turbo back exhaust and expect to see your mpg. numbers jump up to arround 16-20 or so on the highway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Red - didn't mean to offend, but the ones who work at my local Ford dealership all appear to lean toward moronic (especially the service writers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LocoMotion - The mileage is manually calculated (miles driven/galons used) I have a spreadsheet that calculated based on a tank to tank basis as well as a total cumulative average.

the tires are 285/75R16 Kelly Safari AWR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Couple other things to look at. Winter blended fuels cut into milage a bit. If you are fairly North, then it's gonna be worse. Also, if you are North, is it possible that you have your front hubs locked? That'll cut into milage as well. Otherwise, the other guys are right on.
Aaron SEIA

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
ctjailer said:
LocoMotion - The mileage is manually calculated (miles driven/galons used) I have a spreadsheet that calculated based on a tank to tank basis as well as a total cumulative average.

the tires are 285/75R16 Kelly Safari AWR
Have you taken into account the difference in tire size?
If not your numbers are off by almost 10%

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AAron, I'm in Connecticut and understand that the winter fuel will affect the overall mileage, I just hope that I can see an improvement come spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts