The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from a 2300 mile business trip to FL. I live in KY. On the way there, I kept the speed at 71ish mph(2000RPMs) and averaged right at 16.25 mpg. On the way home, I drove 76mph (2200 RPMs) and got 17.5 mpg. Also, it was raining on the way home, so traffic was more stop go. Anybody have a reasoning for this difference in mpg? This is the second straight time on the exact same route that this has happened. I thought that the first time was a fluke, but now I don't know why that would happen?

·
Dually Club member #56
36 Posts
How much fuel do you carry? Are you full of #1 desiel going down, and #2 on the way back north?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ol Red said:
How much fuel do you carry? Are you full of #1 desiel going down, and #2 on the way back north?

i dont carry any with me. i have a 38 gallon tank. 90% of the time i fill up at flying j when im on the road.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Do you know the differences in the fuel??

#1 is a winter blend diesel fuel more resistant to gelling.

#2 is regular 100% diesel fuel

The #1 has anti-gel additives in it that don't yield the same mileage as regular #2 diesel will.

Hope this helps....

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
I was under the impression #1 and winter blend were different fuels. Though I could be wrong....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
NukleusX said:
I was under the impression #1 and winter blend were different fuels. Though I could be wrong....
What would #1 be then??????

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
to be honest id have to look it up, though i was thinking #1 was an older more compatible type of diesel, rarely found much anywhere these days, that isnt ulsd, and doesnt (may additive wise) conform to anything like #2 or winter blend... maybe ill go wiki it and see. who knows if they even know though...

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
well by all means i am not trying to argue. ill go and try to figure this one out for us. time to do some damn research. LOL

·
812 Posts
i would almost bet my life the #1 and #2 are differnt kinds, but #1 does not gell like #2. im not sure exactly what the difference is, but my dad works in alaska and said the refine all there own #1

·
37 Posts
#1 is kerosene, or a distillate very similar to kerosene. It has a CFPP that is considerably lower than #2, but does not possess the lubrication properties of #2. #2 can be a diesel fuel or a home heating oil. I'd imagine that it comes down to mostly the additive package to declare the fuel as one or the other.

#1 is more resistant to gelling, but #2 is better for your engine due to lubrication. "Winter Blend" is kinda vague, but it generally notes something that is BLENDED. With #2 being the cheapest of the available fuels, you start with #2 and blend in enough #1 to depress the CFPP for the weather that the fuel might see. This would be the "winter blend" that is sold at the pump. Winter blend may also have a depressed CFPP via additives rather than by mixing in #2.

Unless you're up in the Yukon filming for Ice Road Truckers or something, you probably don't need straight #1, and if you live in KY, my guess is you'd have a hard time finding it. Blend, yes. Straight #1, not likely.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
#1 is all we get here in the winter.

No #2 til' spring.

It must be like Anarctica cold here......

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
EZSnow said:
#1 is kerosene, or a distillate very similar to kerosene. It has a CFPP that is considerably lower than #2, but does not possess the lubrication properties of #2. #2 can be a diesel fuel or a home heating oil. I'd imagine that it comes down to mostly the additive package to declare the fuel as one or the other.

#1 is more resistant to gelling, but #2 is better for your engine due to lubrication. "Winter Blend" is kinda vague, but it generally notes something that is BLENDED. With #2 being the cheapest of the available fuels, you start with #2 and blend in enough #1 to depress the CFPP for the weather that the fuel might see. This would be the "winter blend" that is sold at the pump. Winter blend may also have a depressed CFPP via additives rather than by mixing in #2.

Unless you're up in the Yukon filming for Ice Road Truckers or something, you probably don't need straight #1, and if you live in KY, my guess is you'd have a hard time finding it. Blend, yes. Straight #1, not likely.
My dad is in the fuel business here. They have like 8 stores, so I'll ask whether they are putting #1 or #2. I topped off at their station before I left. I topped off at Flying J 400 miles later in middle GA. Did the same exact speed and got the same mileage(70mph....16.25mpg). Once in FL, I had to get enough to get by from some little country store in Lake Wales....which I may regret later.....then I got filled up at a Chevron off of I-4. Lastly, I filled up at the same Flying J in middle GA, and from there home, I drove 75 and got 17.4 mpg.:shrug:

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
Tailwind? Perhaps the road on one side has newer pavement so theres less friction drag? MAYBE theres a gravity well at your point of origin, so when your travelling back to it, theres less gravitational pull? Perhaps its due to air density/temperature changes from your point of origin to your destination?:believe
Sorry, couldnt resist....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sleeperstroke said:
Tailwind? Perhaps the road on one side has newer pavement so theres less friction drag? MAYBE theres a gravity well at your point of origin, so when your travelling back to it, theres less gravitational pull? Perhaps its due to air density/temperature changes from your point of origin to your destination?:believe
Sorry, couldnt resist....
Maybe it is the trajectory at which the north poles is pulling me north?LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ryan said:
My dad is in the fuel business here. They have like 8 stores, so I'll ask whether they are putting #1 or #2. I topped off at their station before I left. I topped off at Flying J 400 miles later in middle GA. Did the same exact speed and got the same mileage(70mph....16.25mpg). Once in FL, I had to get enough to get by from some little country store in Lake Wales....which I may regret later.....then I got filled up at a Chevron off of I-4. Lastly, I filled up at the same Flying J in middle GA, and from there home, I drove 75 and got 17.4 mpg.:shrug:

I checked with my dad, and they are running nothing but #2 fuel. They also put power services in all their fuel during the winter months.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
that power serives is crap i lose 1-2 mi per gal when i used to run it i ran the diesel kleen from power services it crap crap crap IMHO

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Fast_Ashley said:
What would #1 be then??????
#1D USED to be a more refined #2D, just as #2D is a more refined #3D, which is just a more refined #4D (bunker C).

Today, in most cases, #1 is really Kerocene, albeit, Ultra Low Sulfur Kerocene.

Kerocene has a lower BTU content than #2D, and #2ULSD.

Wind, grade, and fuel I believe account for your increased mileage on the return trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts