The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some honest input on joining the military. I am 23 years old and I have been thinking about joining the coast guard and I am wanting some more info on the subject and have a couple of ? and concerns. I am married and I like to be around my wife and cold not imagine living in a different state let alone a diff. country with out her. how wold the military effect this? Also if those of you that are in listed or have been in listed wold you or did you in list while married and if so how did that work out for you? I have also hear that some branches like the coast guard hire civilians. What are the chances of getting a job as a civilian without serving first. As I said these are just thoughts for now and I appreciate any and all info that you give me thanks in advance and sorry if these are dumb questions.

·
855 Posts
Maybe Tank will chime in on this one!! He has the experience with marriage and the Coast Gaurd.
As for me, if the Marine Corp had wanted me to have a wife they would have issue me one when I went thru Bootcamp. If you cant live for a extended period of time without your Woman then dont joint the service and damn sure dont go to work in the oil field.
Just my 2 cents..........

·
528 Posts
Im in the CG and so is my wife. Both are over 10 now. As far as over seas the CG is the best service for staying in the states. Is your wife set on staying where she is? They will pay to move her with you. Yes they do hire civilians. All depends on what her specialities are.

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my wife is all for moving around and she is going to school right now to be a nurse and she don't want to give that up all together but when she is finished with school what are the odds of her being able to work for the coast guard as a civilian?

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Never have been married and spent 6yrs in the AF had friends who had spouses and there would be times obvious that they could not be together but for the most part while your stationed somewhere your spouse can be there. Military is kinda like truck driving it will either bring you closer together or it will tear you apart! Sorry for blunt speech but thats my experience wit it and seeing some of my buddies go through some horrible times.

Reactions: vcassens

·
528 Posts
As far as working as a civilian you will have to see what jobs are available. If you are trying to stay local so she can finish school you might be able to work a deal out with a recruiter for guarantee location when you finish boot camp.

·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as working as a civilian you will have to see what jobs are available. If you are trying to stay local so she can finish school you might be able to work a deal out with a recruiter for guarantee location when you finish boot camp.
what is the likely hood of that? Also what wold be the closest base to the st.Louis area?

·
622 Posts
I have been in the navy for 13 years and married for 10, it has been a cahllenge but we have fun most of the time, when you are new and at the bottom of the pay scale it is hard but at least it is a paycheck but it gets better if youstay with it.

·
528 Posts
You would have to talk with a recruiter and work that out. But I do know of peple who have done it before.
http://uscg.mil/top/units/

Reactions: vcassens
1 - 9 of 9 Posts