The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the small mirrors that came on some of the 2000 trucks can be replaced with the towing mirrors. I mean as far as the plugs matching and working? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes I switched mine out. There's an adapter that goes from the rectangular plug to the round plug. Powerstrokeshop.com can help you with it.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
the tow mirrors look nicer and extend for towing but for general driving the sport mirrors offer way better visibility, i HATE my tow mirrors.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Power Stroke said:
the tow mirrors look nicer and extend for towing but for general driving the sport mirrors offer way better visibility, i HATE my tow mirrors.
:umno: My old 2000 had the sport mirrors and they sucked!!! You couldnt see crap out of them....you cant beat the blind spot mirrors on the tow mirrors...and the main glass is a lot bigger then the sport ones...I despised the tow mirrors till I had them for a few miles...:woot:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
lilshmo said:
Does anyone know if the small mirrors that came on some of the 2000 trucks can be replaced with the towing mirrors. I mean as far as the plugs matching and working? Thanks for your input.
There is a complete kit that allows you to do the swap. Let me know if you need one.

I went the other way, from towing to sports mirrors, and sold mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just so you know, the 99-01 trucks have the square plug for the power functions. The 02+ trucks have the round plug. You can either get the adapter or just find mirrors from a 99-01 truck. The 01, and maybe the 00 though I'm not 100% on that year, are the extendable mirrors. The 99s are fixed length and do not have the adjustable spot mirrors. Also the 02+ mirrors break both forward and back, the others just break back. I put 01 towing mirrors on my 99 and it was 100% bolt on with nothing else to buy aside from the mirrors themselves.

·
0 Posts
With a little work, you can also upgrade the mirros to the Excursion heated towing mirrors. You just need to run a ground wire and a keyed hot wire to them. I put the heater on a lighted switch on the dash so that they turn on and off when I want them to.

I towed our first camper with those tiny sport mirrors. Never again. They were ok for everyday driving...but if you plan on doing, or do tow...the trailer tow mirrors are a life saver...

·
Registered
107 Posts
4cstr said:
I towed our first camper with those tiny sport mirrors. Never again. They were ok for everyday driving...but if you plan on doing, or do tow...the trailer tow mirrors are a life saver...
I don't even think they were ok for everyday driving. I have alot better field of view with the tow mirrors in rush hour traffic without having to turn to look. That has kept me from squashing a few rice burners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dfuser...how much is the kit to convert the mirrors? And do they work on converting from the sport to any year/model? I also have a 2000 PSD F250 with the sport mirrors and want to change to the towing mirrors. Saw some on ebay but the guy doesn't know if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
CAPman said:
dfuser...how much is the kit to convert the mirrors? And do they work on converting from the sport to any year/model? I also have a 2000 PSD F250 with the sport mirrors and want to change to the towing mirrors. Saw some on ebay but the guy doesn't know if they are interchangeable.

You can convert them if you have the correct plugs.

You have three options on towing mirrors:
Non-powered
Powered
Powered+Heated (The heat option require you to wire them via an additional switch)

I'll PM you the prices.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
id like to know a price also..for the powered ones..thanks

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
dfuser said:
You can convert them if you have the correct plugs.

You have three options on towing mirrors:
Non-powered
Powered
Powered+Heated (The heat option require you to wire them via an additional switch)

I'll PM you the prices.
If you don't mind pmme the prices on the non powered, got a 2000 F-250, just pulled a trailer in from Hot Springs to here and i couldn't see. Time for an upgrade

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Aww, heck. Send me a PM to let me know what it'll cost me to change mine out.

Early '99. Want to go to dual swing, powered, non-heated tow mirrors. Currently have single swing, powered, non-heated. Do you have the mirrors and the plug adapters?

I still haven't replaced my passenger's side mirror that got broken in this winter's ice storm leftovers.

prt

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a set of power mirrors off of our truck, we let someone drive the truck, and they backed into a pole with the mirror. The plastic shell on the pass. is broken, and i believe the glass is broken on that one too. if someone wants these, you can have them, pm me with an offer. As far as i know, they still work, but i dont have a a to test them.

We replaced them with the extendo- retracto- with the defrost function mirrors, but never wired up the defrost. I still leave em extended, so that i'm used to the extra width of the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts